Florence's interlude

Florence tried her best to sneak into the house without her grandma realizing it. Although the old lady wasn't rigid with her, she was scared to answer a bunch of questions about where's she been and with whom. She would like her afternoon with Betty to remain a secret, for the time being.

She thought maybe that friendship was more precious if the world didn't find out about it. If they could touch each others' hands without anyone commenting on it. If they could lie down in the middle of the forest and fantasize about the world by themselves without anyone's input.

She went to the bathroom closest to her room and took a long shower. The hot water touched her skin violently and it was a shocking blessing. Florence had dirt all over her body and some spots were itching.

She put on a nightgown and proceeded, in light steps, to walk down the stairs and grab something to eat at the kitchen. Although she had eaten all day all fruits and baked goods with Betty, her stomach growled.

The staircase creaked as she went down. The entire house was silent. She felt like a ghost, hunting that big farm.

She felt almost safe in those complete darkness and silence. However, Barbara was awake and expecting her at the dinner table

"I've been waiting for quite some time, young lady."

Florence was startled. The only sound she could hear at that time was the creaks from the wooden floor and her own breathing. She didn't expect her grandma to be awake and standing there silently, just waiting for her.

"I'm sorry, Nana! Have you not eaten yet?"

"No, I haven't. Let's go."

Barbara had heated a meat and potato pie in the oven before the granddaughter came, so she finally put it on the table. She cut a piece for her and the young girl and ate in silence.

Florence thought her grandma would be madder, but she seemed calm. In all honestly, she had never heard her raise her tone to anyone. Her grandma had a calmness that just came naturally to her – the calmness only people that have found their peace can have.

The old lady didn't know if she could ask the questions she wanted to, so she kept quiet.

She knew the girl was hanging out with the neighbors' daughter; she had seen Florence run to the little cottage a few times, looking inside, looking for the redheaded teen. Then one time she went inside.

She also knew that her granddaughter had a picnic somewhere with that same girl.

She saw herself in her daughter's daughter. The long black hair, the fierce green eyes, and the powerful dreams. It was like watching her own past unfold before her.

Her granddaughter was certainly growing – the glow only love can bring to a young girl.

She only hoped Florence wouldn't make the same mistakes that she had done in the past.