red wine

Florence held Betty's hand all the way through the woods. Instead of the place they stopped at the first time they went for a picnic, they decided to go until they could handle. They ended up climbing the mountain that overlooked that piece of forgotten land.

The city girl set the picnic cloth on the ground and the redheaded girl put the cake right in the middle of it. She took off her guitar from the case and put it beside her. In her bag, Florence was hiding a dark bottle of wine and some cheese.

"Nana said I could have it", was all she said. "We don't need to drink it though, if you don't want to."

Betty never tried wine before, so she was thrilled. She was happy to be alive at that moment: with the wind blowing on her hair and face, the blues summer skies above her. She watched Florence open the bottle as if her hand movements were her religion.

Her girlfriend poured the purple liquid into two mugs, since she was afraid wine glasses would break inside her purse with the long walk. She handed the blue mug to Betty because it matched her clothes. The farm girl had a blue bandana tied to her head and a blue shirt. She also wore her favorite brown boots and jean overalls.

She looked just like summer.

They touched mugs before starting to drink. As soon as the wine touched Betty's lips, her body trembled. She wasn't expecting such a bitter taste, but she swallowed it with pride.

"What do you think?", Florence asked. It wasn't the first time she was drinking wine, but it was the first time she actually enjoyed it. Although it was far too hot for that kind of drink, she had the perfect partner by her side. Betty moved her body to get closer to her. Her mouth was painted purple. Florence brought her hand to the girl's face, pointing out her lips were colored.

But, instead of cleaning them with her fingers, she decided to lay one hand on the other girl's neck and the other hand on her waist, so their mouths would touch in a loving embrace.

After the kiss, Betty's face was in a red flush.

"I'm so blessed to have you in my life", she blurted out.

Florence had a tiny tear coming off one of her eyes. Although she couldn't say it – what would even be the sufficient words for such a feeling? – she felt the same. She felt like her heart had turned golden.

They cut out some cheese and ate it while drinking the wine. It wasn't long before the bottle was over and they started eating the cake. They gave each other little pieces of it with their hands, as a couple does on their wedding day.

"I actually went to your house earlier today", Florence said. She had carried those words all day long and she felt like, after eating and drinking, it would be the best time to just spill it all out.

"Oh, was I asleep? I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I just couldn't wait to see you and talk to you. I have some news, actually."

"I actually have some too. But you first."

Betty leaned in so she wouldn't miss a word coming out of her girlfriend's mouth. Then, Florence proceeded to rewind her conversation with her grandmother and how it took her by surprise.

Both of the girls' hearts were accelerated, almost to the point of not being able to breathe. But, whilst telling the story, Florence forgot why she wanted to tell it. What was the point? What was the answer she wanted from Betty?

After she finished it, she was left disappointed with herself. What did she want from the girl? Did she want her to give up on her life in the farm with her parents to follow her somewhere else in the world? Was that even fair?

She really just wanted to talk about it. Since she heard Barbara's story, she was scared she was about to do the same.

"Are you afraid of walking into the same steps?", Betty asked. Florence sighed. She knew just how to understand her mind. She just nodded as an answer.

They both looked into the horizon to feel the silence around them. For the first time, the absence of noise was uncomfortable between them. There was only tension.

Betty took her girlfriend's hands into hers and kissed them. With tears on her eyes, she smiled.

"You should follow your dream."

"That's the thing. I don't know what it is anymore."

Florence knew what she wanted. She wanted more time. More time to be with Betty, to figure out if that was only crazy stupid love or if it was the real thing, if it could surpass eternity given the opportunity.

But her trip was approaching. And there was nothing she could do.

So they could enjoy that beautiful afternoon, Betty told her not to worry about it at that moment. There were more pressing things happening. And she just wanted to enjoy the time she still had with her girl. Florence didn't say anything but kissed the girl on the cheek and agreed with a smile, then laid on the picnic cloth to gaze at the clouds.

"But you have to tell your news too! What were them?"

The girl had almost forgotten about that and laughed. "My mom, she knows about us."

Florence sat down again and opened her eyes wide from the surprise. "And how was that?"

"She was happy, actually. Happy that I get to feel like this."

The city girl swooned. She hadn't even thought about how they would display their relationship to the other girl's parents because she just assumed Betty wanted to hide since they aren't that close, but she was more than happy to have the girl's mother's blessing to love her daughter unconditionally.

"How does it feel for you?", she later asked.

"What?"

"This. Us."

The redheaded girl leaned in closer so she could whisper.

"Divine."

They stayed in the woods until the sun went down, playing the guitar and singing together to the lovely night's arrival.