forever

So the day came when Florence had to say goodbye. She had packed most of her stuff two days before with her girlfriend's help. Both of them kept their sorrows in while doing so, because there was nothing anyone of them could have done.

Barbara would ask them if they wanted any help, but they just really wanted to be isolated from the outside world – the outside world that was so cruel to that young love, obligating them to be apart. They wanted to hide their grief and, therefore, hide themselves.

The grandmother would wait for them downstairs for breakfast, but they'd always go down a little too late. The old woman, then, ate on her own, feeling sad for all of those involved in Florence's parting.

She wanted her granddaughter to also give her some time, because she was too grieving the fact that the girl was going away. But she understood. If she had had parents that would've understood her own story, she probably would've spent her last days in the countryside by her girl's side, instead of feeling just relief to get away from her family's clutches. She didn't want to be that type of person for Florence; the girl deserved to spend as much time as she could with Betty.

When they'd go down to eat, they'd just pick some food to bring upstairs. They'd stay inside the room, talking about themselves and what they expected from the future. But the truth was, they weren't sure what to expect and none of them wanted to jinx their wishes.

Betty wanted to say that they could write to each other, keep that love alive in writing, and one day maybe they'd meet halfway. Maybe she would go live in the city and they could meet someday and talk as if no time had gone by.

Florence wanted to say they should keep in contact and that she'd go back for her love. But she couldn't be sure. Maybe the girl would meet someone new and their story would stay in the past as something beautiful and unbreakable, although not revivable. Maybe she would meet someone too. Or maybe she'd forget about the whole falling in love process and never try it again, since the first and only time it happened for her was enough experience for a lifetime.

However, the night before Florence's departure, they couldn't sleep for they had too many words locked in their heart to give them peace. So Betty took her girlfriend's hand and led her outside, to the flower field, where they sat to look at the stars.

It was a beautiful night, like they had almost every day. The skies were clear and they could see every star they wanted to see. There was something about the quietness there that made them feel like their hearts and souls were expanding. Their heavy breaths became part of the night's melody, along the flowers moving with the wind and the crickets' songs.

They laid down and held each other's hands.

"I love you", Betty whispered, as the grass could somehow hear her words and intervene.

"I love you too."

They remained silent for a few minutes, before the redheaded girl couldn't take it any longer and had her fingers trembling.

"What do you think will happen to us?", she asked with tears on her eyes.

Florence had no answer but swiped her girlfriend's tears with her fingertips. There were many things she'd like to say but she wasn't sure how to put them into words. So she just went in with her impulses.

"I don't know. But I know what I'd like to happen", she smiled and turned to Betty. "Do you want to hear it?"

"Yes, please."

"I'll go and finish university. I'll find a job after a while, have my own money. And I'll come back for you, with some flowers in my hand and a picnic basket, asking if you'd like to catch up. And it'll feel like I never left, because that's how much we are meant to be."

The two girls let tears roll down their faces. They leaned in closer to share a kiss and they could taste each other's sadness.

"That sounds lovely", Betty said in a whisper.

"What do you think will happen to us?", Florence asked.

The redheaded girl sighed. She was happy to have the opportunity to share what was occupying her mind for so long.

"I think... I'll meet you somewhere in the middle of the way. I'll also go to university, find myself in the bigger picture, and think of you for every second of every day. Even if just in the back of my head, I'll hear your voice like a guardian angel's and I'll know I'm headed the right way. And after that happens, after I realize who I'm supposed to be, I'll go to your town to see you and hope that you see me. And, when you do, I'll be ready for the next big thing in my life."

Florence had tears in her eyes, but didn't answer. She wanted to sit with those words for a while, swallow them and let them be a part of her system. Betty did the same. They laid there until they fell asleep, imagining where their lives would lead them.

As soon as the sun appeared, they woke up. They had mud and flower branches in their heads and they smiled when they saw each other. That was the day they'd hug and kiss for the last time. They only had but a few hours.

They got up and walked to the house. Since nobody was out of bed, they decided to take a shower together. They put shampoo and conditioner on each other's hair, massaging each other's calves and soaping each other's bodies.

When they were done, Florence put on her travelling clothes and Betty put on a nice dress her girlfriend had given her. She also had given the redheaded girl her favorite blue bandana, which the girl also wore with pride.

They went down and played some music together. One last harmony, for old times' sake. And, after that, they made out on the couch desperately until they heard a noise coming from upstairs. They fixed themselves and went to the kitchen, where they had a big breakfast with Barbara and some of the women who were there early to work. The group entered in a discussion about the crops and how that summer had blessed them, and the girls laughed at every one's remarks while holding hands under the table.

After breakfast, Florence was to get in a car with her luggage and go. So everyone went upstairs to grab her bags, while she and her girlfriend sat on the table, promising eternal love to each other.

Even though life could change them, they'd always have that summer. They'd always have those few months where they came into their own because they had a love to call their own. And they'd forever cherish that.