XIX

THIS CHAPTER IS DEDICATED TO ZOE AND THE BUMP ON HER HEAD </3 hope you're feeling better, darling :(
The artwork is by Diana ( @/haveya on Twitter) who is incredibly talented...
===

Louis sat in the back of the car, feeling numb. Neither him nor Ashe uttered a word as they drove back from the studio. Every so often, he would sneak a glance her way, only to be met with her long hair cascading down past her shoulders, hiding her face.

How had they ended up here?

===

When Niall had left, Louis had felt hopeless, heartbroken and betrayed. They had been through so much together, and he left, during one of the most important times in Louis's life.

He just left.

Harry had tried to offer him some comfort, sneaking a kiss during rehearsal, watching a romcom just before bed, singing sweet nursery rhymes to help him fall asleep, but it had done little to dull the ache in his heart, following his best friend's swift and unexpected departure.

Despite his low mood, the week had been going well. Him and Harry were in a good place, and the star seemed to be getting his life together slowly, but surely. He had even helped his two remaining contestants with their performances, finally fulfilling what he should have been doing from the start. Neither of them had spoken about the cocaine incident, but Harry hadn't offered Louis anymore, and there had not been anymore parties. He did not want to upset the star, whose eyes seemed to glime brighter than any star in the sky: green and bold in a sad and desolate land. 

Ashe had commented on Harry's mood change, suggesting that there was something lifting his mood. Louis had smiled to himself and kept silent, trying not to overthink her words too much. Following Niall's exit, the two contestants had grown even closer, and spent almost every minute together, when Harry was occupied and they weren't rehearsing. It was nice to have her. She kept him grounded, despite the madness that was going on around him with Harry.

One particular afternoon, the two had been sitting on the living room sofa, their legs wrapped around each other, as they watched dreadful daytime tv. The fire was lit and the sun hung low in the sky, sending golden patterns onto the floor, from the window. There was a warmth in Louis's stomach and he turned towards his friend, only to be met with a semi serious expression.

"Do you know that there are people shipping you?" She asked, her eyebrows raised. Louis turned his attention away from the television, and tilted his head, in confusion.

"Who?" He replied, and she smirked, her blue eyes twinkling with mischief.

"You and Harry," she replied, chuckling.

Louis's eyes widened and his mouth widened like a fish out of water, gasping for air.

"What? Why?" He spluttered, a little concerned. Ashe shrugged, and looked back at the TV

"Because of his little speech last Saturday," She answered as if it was the most obvious question in the world. The lad from Doncaster swallowed and looked down at his hands. He could tell her. Ashe wouldn't tell anyone. They were best friends, but there was a small part of him terrified to face the truth, terrified to own up to what he was doing. What if Ashe felt as if it was a disadvantage? What if she thought he'd fucked his way through the competition?

No. He couldn't tell her. And so he continued to act oblivious.

"What do you mean?" He said, trying to keep his voice light. There was a slight wobble to it, but the blonde bombshell did not pick up on it. Instead, she turned to Louis and cleared her throat.