3

"The CM-11 has the most compact engine ever created with twin engines that allow it to accelerate and change directions faster than any other aircraft. Although there were faster ones created, the CM was the lightest and easiest to maneuver. It was favored by the centrally-located category I planets because it could navigate in between tall buildings on their industrial planets..." Newton started his report, typing at his desk.

It was well past the artificial darkness controlled by the Academy leaders when Newton finished his report for the following flight class. It was nowhere near his best work, but it would be sufficient for Stormy, who preferred assessing skill based on demonstration than written work anyway. This was fine by Newton, who wasn't as enthusiastic about having to write the reports as Schwarz was. Newton sent the report to Stormy and after showering and changing clothes, got into bed.

Sleep, which rarely came easily, had been even more evasive recently. More than ever, he longed to go back and talk with his best friend back on Egia. She had always known what to say even when they were just kids. He was sure she would know what to tell him about why he felt like he did. Wilso clearly thought he was a danger to others and maybe he was right. Maybe there really was a danger in pushing his power to higher levels, but he couldn't dismiss the feeling that he should already be at a higher level. His mind yearned to go back in time and have one last conversation on Egia before his eyelids began to get heavy and close.

The first bell chimed to wake the learners for another rotation at the academy at the center of the black hole at the center of the universe. The rotation's lessons would consist of flight/weapons, and history & politics, which wasn't exactly riveting material, but would be the last group lesson of the ten-rotation period, since the tenth rotation was always a rotation off for the learners. At least his private terra lesson was with Kortoba today. Wilso would spend half the time lecturing about his carelessness.

As always, Newton started his rotation with his usual required morning exercises. Kortoba always said a healthy mind started with a healthy body and made sure all learners were in excellent condition, since their missions often required strenuous physical work.

After his work-out, Newton threw on his navy-blue polo and khaki uniform. In the field, agents wore a variety of clothes to fit into their surrounding and blend in, but at the academy everyone, including the instructors, wore polos and khakis during instructional sessions. During free periods and private training, they were free to use the other half of their wardrobe, which consisted of a few t-shirts, shorts, jeans, and sweatshirts.

A semi-warm bowl of oatmeal was waiting in his meal slot and he quickly swallowed it before heading out for the rotation.

Schwarz was already on the flight deck when Newton staggered out next to him. The blinding artificial lights outside the Academy stung Newton's golden-green eyes as he walked across the deck. He couldn't be convinced that the artificial lighting was not made even more powerful than any planet's star.

"Are you ready for the battle, mate?" Schwarz asked as Newton halted at his side with the rest of the class waiting for their instructor.

"Yeah, of course. There's no way we lose again," Newton replied bouncing up and down a few times to fully wake up.

"I believe there are many ways you lose again," Nile called out after hearing the boast. Putting his arm around the grinning boy Opados next to him he taunted, "I don't see any reason we won't do it again today, especially with me at command."

Although he was almost a full revolution behind Newton, Nile had commanded his team and thoroughly beaten Newton's team in their last mock battle, scoring twelve hits to a mere four. Nile had long black hair, a devilish smile, and as much as Newton hated to admit it, he often beat Newton. He also liked to tell everyone about it when he did.