A Light Supper

"Diego, this is a setup," Luther said seriously, reading their father's invitation.

"Maybe," Diego agreed, putting on his shirt. "But we should go anyway."

"Says the guy who's already been stabbed once this week," Luther muttered, throwing the invitation on the table.

"Oh, don't worry, me and him are gonna have words," Diego assured.

"Yeah, this is gonna be interesting," Em muttered, leaning back in her chair.

"Are you sure you want to meet dad?" Diego asked her with uncertainty.

"It would be very rude to ignore my father-in-law when he asked me to a light supper," Em said matter-of-factly. "Besides, I have a few words of my own for him."

"What does that mean?" Luther asked, alarmed.

"Don't worry about it," Em said dismissively, drinking her coffee.

Luther looked at Vanya with exasperation, "Would you tell them that this is nuts?"

"I think we should go," Vanya shrugged.

"See?" Diego asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Vanya, of all people, you should hate dad the most," Luther stated seriously.

"Come on, can he really be that bad?" Vanya asked innocently.

"Yes," Em said, raising her eyebrows.

"Well, let's see," Luther said, pensively. "He isolated you from the rest of the family."

"Kept you hopped up on pills," Diego added, adjusting his shirt.

"Brainwashed you into thinking you had no powers..." Em noted.

"Jesus, this guy..." Vanya muttered in disbelief.

"Yeah."

"I mean, come on, I have to meet him," she said enthusiastically.

Luther got agitated seeing Diego smirking, "You already know how this is gonna go. Dad is gonna play his little mind games on us, get into our heads, and he's gonna turn us all against each other. You watch."

"Luther, we're not 12 anymore," Diego said honestly. "All right? We're grown-ass men. And women. We can handle him. You know what's different this time?"

"What's that?" Luther asked impatiently.

"You got me," Diego said softly. "We go in there as a united front. No more 'Number One,' 'Number Two' bullshit. From now on, it's... Team Zero."

"'Team Zero'?" Luther asked amusedly.

Diego nodded, "Team Zero. All the way."

Em bumped his outstretched fist with a sympathetic smile, while his sibling looked at him weirdly.

"Also, you have me," she said softly. "I have no ties to Reginald and brainwashing just doesn't seem to work with me so if in the off chance he gets to you guys I can pull you out."

"See, we have nothing to worry about," Diego told Luther confidently, before walking over to Em and kissing her.

"We should get going, it's almost time," Em said with a deep breath.

Diego and Em entered the Southland Life building hand in hand, closely followed by Vanya, Luther walked behind them at a slow pace.

Diego held the closing elevator door, "Wait up," he said, joining Five in the elevator.

Em and Vanya got in with them.

"Hold it," Allyson called, running.

"Hey everyone," Klaus mumbled as he stumbled into the elevator.