Chapter 5: Semi-Final Shithouses

After the defeat against St. Gloriana, we decided to relax by visiting a local cafe. It was an eccentric place decorated in tankery posters and fuel tanks along with sand bags stacked on top of eachother along the walls. Their red hue and metallic tinge was shaded by the bright light of the sun as a tiny T-90 tank sat upon our table, its turret being pushed down and emitting the sound of a shell being fired. We waited for a few seconds before a waitress rushed over, blank notepad and teal blue fountain pen in hand.

Waitress: Can I take your order?

Hana: We'll have the cake combos, two chocolate cakes with one of the strawberry tarts, one lemon pie and the New York cheesecake.

Waitress: Anything else?

Y/n: I'll have a tea.

She scribbled furiously on her notepad, desperately recalling every item we listed before turning back to me.

Waitress: What kind of tea would you like?

I pondered over a few flavours that stuck out to me before finally choosing one.

Y/n: I'll go with Darjeeling tea thankyou.

She smiled and noted down the flavour, exclaiming that our orders will be with us shortly. As she left team Anglerfish conversed heavily about the previous match while I stared out of the window, gazing up at the drifting pillows of water that looked to start precipitating very soon. In a startling manner, two trucks carrying our orders hustled onto our table from the highway outside, parking neatly beside one another as we all took our treats.

Y/n: What were those fancy trucks?

Saori: It's a dragon wagon, remote control of course.

Y/n: No way! I thought they were the real thing given the none existent engine and cheap plastic used for the mainframe of it!

Saori: You're being sarcastic, right?

Y/n: Nooo, I'm never sarcastic.

Miho: But that was sarcasm too.

Y/n: I know, that's the joke!

The team laughed and happily munched on their cakes as I quietly sipped my tea, taking note of the delectable flavour that accompanied it. As soon as the drink hit my tongue my taste buds fired up in delight and prompted me to drink more, as to which I happily obliged.

Hana: You certainly look like you're enjoying your tea Y/n, I wonder if Commander Darjeeling tastes as good.

Y/n: What in the world did you just say?

Hana: Oh nothing.

I brushed off the sus comment and went back to drinking, when all of a sudden three girls pulled up to the table, dressed in the Kuromorimine attire of grey and black with a shiny steel button at the collar. I recognised Monika as soon as I laid eyes on her, but not the other two. The blonde one beside Monika piped up, speaking to Miho.

Erika: Sub Commander!

Miho turned around to face the group, a sour expression slowly forming on her otherwise stoic and joyous face.

Erika: Or should I say, former Sub Commander.

Miho now had a dejected and depressed look, staring down at the floor while talking.

Miho: Big sister.

The team turned to Miho with faces of suprise while I simply nodded my head, finally understanding who these nobodies were.

Maho: I didn't think you'd still be doing tankery.

Yukari stood up from her seat, pushing her plate back and looking directly at Maho.