Chapter 15: Storm Of Steel Part I

The days before the final whizzed by in a smoky blur, the memories of intense training and aching hands were all but distant deja-vu moments. Now was the time to do battle, and do battle is what we came to do. The tanks were all menacingly lined up in separate garages and I sat atop the Porsche Tiger, admiring one of the most famous tanks to exist. The cold steel against my gloved fingertips, the rough tracks that smoothly ran around the wheels and the humongous gun that nestled in the front of the tank. It was an engineering masterpiece. Or so it was advertised.

Y/n: Oh damn. Ayo there's a fire! The engine blew up again!

Miho: Fetch the fire extinguisher!

Feet stamped their way over and lifted the engine's metal grating, fighting back the oily flames with ease thanks to the extinguisher. Soon the heat faded away and I clambered back onto the tank, still admiring it's framework piece by piece. That was until a familiar cough was heard.

Y/n: Darjeeling. Glad to see you here.

Darjeeling: The feeling is reciprocated Y/n, how are you today?

Y/n: Admittedly, a tad bit nervous. However I'm sure that what I have in store for Kurimorimine, we can beat them back and take the victory!

Darjeeling chuckled and held her hand to her mouth, covering her lips as to not so subtly hide her laugh.

Darjeeling: I'm sure you will. Well, I wish you good luck. And please.

She walked over and hugged me, tightening the hug with care.

Darjeeling: Be safe out there. Promise?

I looked into her eyes and smiled sweetly, hugging her back with matched care.

Y/n: I promise Darj, I won't be killed that easily.

Darjeeling: Good, then I shall take my leave. I wish you luck!

Her and Orange Peakoe sauntered off to the viewing area, their presence being replaced with a jolly looking smile from a jolly looking American.

Kay: Well hey there Y/n! Admiring the Porsche Tiger are we?

Y/n: You know it Kay, I can't take my eyes off of the beauty.

Kay looked confused, pointing out where I was looking.

Kay: But you're not looking at it. You're looking at Darjeeling and Klara.

Y/n: I know. I know. Anyway, what are you here for?

Kay smirked and punched my shoulder playfully, scolding me straight after.

Kay: It's rude to stare at other women you know! Unless it's me.

She purposefully said the last part quietly so that I missed it.

Y/n: Ah, sorry Kay, I didn't mean to!

Kay: It's all good Y/n, just make sure to beat those Krauts out there for me.

Y/n: No promises, but I could make an exception just for you.

Kay giggled and jogged back to her viewing area, giving the Russians time to approach me. They sauntered over and chatted with Miho for a while before swivelling round to face me.

Katyusha: Hello there, Y/n.

Y/n: General Katyusha. Nice to see you again.

Katyusha: The pleasure is all mine. I wanted to wish you luck with the upcoming match, not that you'll need it.

I was shocked. This was certaintly out of character for her to congratulate opponents, but to wish them luck?! It almost made me pinch myself to see if it was a dream.