18. Mars, Thou Art A Hero!

"Ssht!" the shadow whispered to her. A small hand gently covered her mouth. "It's just me." Evie frowned. Its voice didn't sound threatening, scary, or dangerous at all. Then, she realized it was little Mars.

She sighed in relief and carefully removed his hand. "Sweetheart, what are you doing here?"

Mars' big eyes slightly reflected in the moonlight. He seemed sad and looked down. "I have to tell you something."

She rubbed her eyes tiredly. "What's wrong?"

He sighed. "My father... He lied. There is no Roomelyboomely flower. It doesn't exist, " he confessed.

Evie frowned and sat straight up. She noticed the cute slur in his voice just now. "Then why did your father bring us here?" she asked curiously. She started to think of the worst.

Mars suddenly looked panicky. "Because..."
He sighed. "He wants to kill you." Evie gaped at the boy and covered her mouth with her hand. "We don't eat plants or animals, we... We eat humans..."

Evie stared at him. "You eat humans?" she repeated in fear and unbelief.

"Well... The rest of them does, " he explained. "But that doesn't matter right now: you guys need to get out of here!"

She frowned. She had to admit the kid was scaring her to death at that moment. She took a deep breath to calm herself down. It was needed because she felt that her fingertips were getting colder and colder. "Why are you doing this?"

His big eyes sparkled. "You guys are the only ones that can save us. You've got the Objects of Seasons and Elements, you're the only ones that--"

"You know about the gems?" Jay, who suddenly showed up behind Evie, spoke. In all of her nervosity, she didn't notice the snoring had stopped a few minutes ago. Evie yelped, which scared Jay and made him shriek too.

Mars shushed them both and nodded.  "I'll explain everything, I promise, but first we have to get your friends." The two VKs nodded. They sneaked out of the bedroom and entered the one across the hall.

Evie gently tapped Doug's shoulder and whispered his name multiple times. It didn't work. She slightly rolled her eyes. Yep. Definitely related to Sleepy. She smirked when an idea crossed her mind. She covered his mouth. She leaned closer to his face and...

"Boo."

Doug instantly woke up, his eyes wide. He probably would've screamed if Evie's hand wasn't covering his mouth. She shushed him. "Mfevfie?" he muttered. She withdrew her hand.

They went to Jay, who wasn't even trying to wake up Chad, he just watched the crazy sight of the sleeping prince with a smug smile. His mouth was open and he was drooling. One of his legs dangled out of the bed (which was actually a giant seashell) and his hair looked like a bird's nest. Jay crossed his arms. "If my phone worked here, I definitely would've been Prom King this year, " he laughed. Mars chuckled.

Doug noticed him standing between the two VKs. "Hey, not to be rude or anything, but what are you doing here? In fact, what are all of you doing here?"

Mars' big eyes looked up at him. "I'll explain in a minute. Let's wake your friend first, " he suggested.

Jay grinned. "Easy peasy." He leaned down and whispered in Chad's ear: "Psst, Chad, someone shaved your head and sold your hair to Rumplestiltskin."

Chad's eyes burst open as he screamed into Jay's ear. He jumped up and felt his hair. He sighed in relief. Jay rolled his eyes. "Good God, Charlize Theron, keep it down, will you?" he snapped in a whisper.