9. Practice

Chad, Evie, Jay, and Doug continued their journey in silence. Everyone did their own thing. Evie annoyedly tapped some dirt off of her jacket. Chad looked at the ground. He stopped when he bumped into a tree. He spat out some leaves. Doug looked around in nature. Jay put his hair in the right place. "Hey, Doug, " Evie began, "are we still going in the right direction?"

Doug turned around and took his map. "Let me see. Uhm... Wait a second... Let me calculate the distance..." After half a minute, Doug looked at her again. "We have to turn left in about 2 kilometers." Evie nodded.

"Good conversation, " Chad mumbled.

Jay ignored him. He sighed. "Guys, maybe, we need to take a break for a second, " he suggested.

The rest turned around and stared at him. "Take a break? Jay, we have such a long way to go, we can't stop, " Evie argued.

Doug and Chad nodded. "She's right, Jay, " Doug agreed.

"Yeah, we better keep going, " Chad joined in.

Jay sighed again. "Guys, we've been walking for a whole day by now. It's...", he looked at his watch, "6 pm. We'd better take a break to eat, and, maybe, try to practice our powers."

The rest shared a look. They nodded. "That would be a great idea, " Evie approved. "Ooh, maybe we could make a campfire."

Doug smiled at her suggestion. "Hey, that's a great idea! You know, I was a boy scout a few years ago, " he said proudly. He put his hand on his hips. Jay and Chad shared a look before they burst out laughing. Doug crossed his arms.

Evie did too. She chuckled. "Ah, boys, don't tease him like that." She clapped. "Okay, so, are we going to practice here, or over there, in that clearing near that lake?" And indeed, Evie pointed at a clearing. A small lake with a waterfall was near it.

Jay crossed his arms. "Seriously? Why didn't you tell us earlier?" Evie shrugged. Jay chuckled and rolled his eyes. Evie ran to the open area in the forest. The light of the sun reflected beautifully in the shining water of the lake. It wasn't the Enchanted Lake, but it looked like it. The boys quickly followed her.

Evie kneeled down by the lake. She looked into the shiny water, ran her hand through it, and touched it with her fingers. After a few seconds,
she jumped up and screamed. The boys immediately fastened. "Evie! What's wrong?" Doug asked worriedly when the boys arrived. They stood next to Evie and looked at her pale face.

She pointed at the water. It wasn't water anymore. Or well, in another form. Instead of the shining, flowing water, they saw a frozen lake. It was a layer of thick, hard ice. The boys looked as shocked as Evie.

"Wow, " Chad muttered.

"Evie, you used your powers!" Jay exclaimed.

Evie nodded weakly. "I suppose I did, " she replied. She sighed.

Doug couldn't say anything. All he could do was stare at the lake, then back at Evie. He did that multiple times. Chad, who stood beside him, broke his thoughts and made him jump. "What's wrong? Are you not happy?" he asked.

Evie frowned and looked at him. "Why would I be happy?" she asked confused.

Chad shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe because you just discovered a part of your powers?" he said sarcastically.

"What? That I'm just a failed copy of Queen Elsa?" Evie asked. She raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms.

Chad sighed. "No! It's so obvious that you can freeze things! No wonder, you are water and winter, which is technically ice!" he analyzed to everyone's surprise.