7. A Leak in the Ceiling

Let me extend a welcome hand.

My tempest weaving wind and sand.

Cut another inch again.

A new look; a summoning. 

A colleague from my previous team walked by and made a point to come to my desk, shaking my hand. He almost fell off balance, but he caught himself with the other hand.

"Nice to see you," he struggled.

Even though it was random, it was a nice gesture.

I hadn't seen him since last year, but he got me to agree to a lunch with his father.

I thought a little family gathering might do me good.

Suddenly Elley announced she would be going on break.

I was left alone and starting to have shortness of breath.

It seemed if I pushed back my chair away from the cubicle wall, I was breathing easier.

Is something toxic in the air? Falling on my desk?

I really couldn't breathe. I had never had any breathing problems before.

The Heart notice on my smartwatch went off, registering that it was a bit high above the normal.

I was sitting and tried to regain focus.

That was really weird. When Elley came back, I was already in my next meeting, so I didn't say anything, but this happened every other day for one week when the area around me would be empty and Elley would leave.

She would first of all, spray a rude amount of fragrances into the environment 3-4 times a day, and it always seemed to change.

This month it was a particularly bad perfume.

"Elley, is it okay if you don't spray as much?" I asked.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! You know me and my scents," she obliged.

----

When the next three days after Anastasia's gathering, I began having diarrhea and burning constipation unlike other stomach aches. 

I remembered Anastasia's meal right away, especially when I questioned why that plate had been set out for me specifically, and nobody else around me ate. 

As I was going through the options, I remembered my commitment with my colleague and his dad. 

The lunch was uneventful, except for the difference I noticed in my food when I asked for a drink and was told I had to get it at the bar, and when I came back. 

Noticeably, my food had been tampered with when I came back with my drink, but both my colleague and his dad were insisting I tell them how good it was, while not eating on their plate. I ate around the corners to not be disrespectful, but it made the rest of the conversation dry. 

His father spoke about poisoning somebody who was rich and elite back in his tribe. While they laughed, I questioned whether he learned or participated. 

What was in my food?