Minister Scrimegour Does Not Approve

A/N Written by @Lomonaaeren.

Minister Rufus Scrimgeour was not accustomed to having his own plans turn on him. He was a smart man. He had survived the War as much thanks to his own skills with a wand as thanks to the skills of his bodyguards. He had maintained control during a tumultuous period of transition that would surely have unseated Cornelius.

When something did go wrong, it usually had to do with Harry Potter. Rufus had never imagined he would have sympathy for You-Know-Who, but it would have been a quieter world, there was no doubt about that, if the Potter boy had died doing his duty during the War.

He hadn't. He'd lived, as he had a nasty habit of doing, and insisted on joining the Aurors. Rufus had been inclined to permit it, feeling generous and complacent in those immediate heady days of freedom, even though Potter hadn't sat his NEWT's and therefore technically didn't have the scores to join the most elite body of wizards in Britain.

Then Potter had insisted that his best friend Ronald Weasley be granted the same exception, so that he could join the Aurors. Rufus had tried to protest, but Potter had threatened to go public with their private bargain if he refused Weasley entrance. And in that moment, with the Daily Prophet taking a breathless interest in whether Potter sneezed, Rufus knew his life would be made miserable if the infuriating young man so much as hinted at something scandalous involving the Minister.

The wizarding world needed his guiding hand. Losing control due to a fight over another Weasley wasn't worth it.

Rufus had taken his revenge, of course. Since he'd thrown open the entrance requirements to Potter and Weasley, he could hardly refuse Draco Malfoy, as he'd said innocently to Potter when the latter stormed into his office a month later and demanded to know what a Death Eater was doing among the trainees.

Potter had eyed him, and then stormed out again without a word. Rufus had chuckled to himself, confident that, irritant though he might be, Potter had enough of a brain to know when he was beaten.

He didn't, however. He questioned the training methods of the Aurors, often and in a loud voice. He insisted on being partnered with Weasley even when it was shown that he worked more effectively with others. He continued to call himself Dumbledore's man even when the old Headmaster had been dead for a number of years—and as a result, a group with the same name sprang up. Rufus was sure they plotted against the Ministry. It didn't matter that they claimed they were an informal club that met once a week to "discuss" politics, and no more. If they had a name like Dumbledore's Men (or Dumbledore's Wizards once Hermione Granger made a fuss), they were plotting against the Ministry.

He had taken his revenge, again, by assigning Malfoy to Potter when both were finished with training and required a partner.

And again his revenge gave him a headache. Potter and Malfoy proceeded to work together well on extremely difficult cases, so well that they were soon at the top of Kingsley Shacklebolt's list of effective teams—

And, when not on cases, argued vociferously about everything from the right kind of tea to drink to whether former Death Eaters should have been freed from Azkaban if they'd helped the Order of the Phoenix. Constant hexes, constant shouting, or constant freezing silence prevailed between them at all times, and made every Auror who was within a hundred feet miserable. Disciplining them did nothing to stop the quarrels, and since they were so good in the field, Kingsley was reluctant to discipline them too much anyway. The man had always been too soft, Rufus considered.