Chapter 3- The Orphanage

"Once again I failed

      "Once again I failed. I failed miserably. They say every cloud has a silver lining, then why in my case it isn't? What's my mistake?" Today also I was sitting silently under the starry sky complaining to them about my unjust life. Closing my eyes, I was trying to make myself convinced that I have to be strong. I have to stand strong for my maa.

"I'm sorry Avni but Neela has Cancer." the doctor's words were again ringing in my ears. All the way back home, I stayed strong, only for my Neela maa. I didn't want to tell her about her condition all of a sudden. I was not sure how would she react to it. But as soon as I stepped inside the house, I dashed to my room and cried. I sobbed terribly.

"No, Avni. You can't cry like that. You've to be strong. Strong enough to pull out your maa from this situation. You can't be a stupid cry baby.", I collected myself and once again looked at the stars who twinkled at me. My friendship with stars had always been my strength.

I sighed and was going to talk to the medical professional again when I heard maa calling me.

"Avni, there's a letter for you.", Maa yelled from downstairs.

"Coming maa," I answered while descending the stairs.

"Thank you.", I said to the boy and took the letter signing the notepad.

My eyes widened and tears formed in them when I read it. "Terminated", I mumbled under my breath.

"Avni child, what's in the letter?", maa asked making me stiffen.

"Ah! nothing maa. I'll talk to you in a bit, actually, Sarah's letter came by mistake at our house.", I made up an excuse and hurriedly went back to my room.

"Sir, how can you just fire me like that without any prior notice, and on what basis have you sent this stupid letter to me.", I yelled at the manager of SK groups.

"Miss Mehta, you were absent for the last two days and for your kind information let me tell you I'm not the one who's responsible for your termination. The company has been bought by Mr Khanna and he's the one who fired you. So, you talk to him directly in my opinion.", the manager said and ended the call, dismissal was obvious in his voice.

"Who the hell is this Mr Khanna", I asked, "Hello, hello."

Why are you doing this God? Whenever I start believing in you a little bit, you do something in such a way that even that little faith of mine gets shattered.

My phone rang bringing me out of my trance but I frowned looking at the unknown number.

"Hello, who's this?"

"Miss Mehta?" I was sure I had listened to this voice before but bloody hell, where?

"Speaking."

"Oh! how does it feel to be jobless." A sense of familiarity was clearly visible in his voice.

"Who's it?"