☾02: The Neighbor Island☽

WOULD YOU STAY ON THE OTHER ISLAND?THE NEIGHBOR ISLAND

THE NEIGHBOR ISLAND

꧁ T W O ꧂

Everyone seemed to be busy admiring the moon. I looked below me and took a deep breath. I derived under me. The moonlight never touched my skin. At this point, I knew I broke many rules but I didn't want to be involved. I swam to a tunnel that led to the ocean I tried so hard not to look behind and I didn't. I swam away from the island.

I stopped in the middle of the ocean. Where am I suppose to go? I lift my head above water and saw the neighbor island. The island where humans come from. I went back down to the water and headed there. I saw a lonely rock and carefully climbed it, making sure I wasn't touching the dry sand.

I hugged my tail and sighed. I felt like crushing my own heart. I felt guilt. I didn't understand why if all I wanted is to escape. Something started distracting me. I saw blinking colorful light on the side of my eye. I turn around and saw humans. They were dancing and cheering. It made me feel happy.

I laid on my stomach and watched the people. It made me forget my whole life on the island. I want to be happy like those humans. "Excuses me!" I heard a voice of a male human speak on the other side of me. I gasped and turn around. I made eye contact with the human. He widens his eyes, "A-Are you real?"

I didn't answer. I grabbed onto the rock and got ready to push myself away just in case he attacks me. He walks closer. I start panting in fear. He walked closer, lifting his hand as if he wanted to touch me. I gasped and jumped into the water. I was about to swim away when I hear him spoke

"Wait! I don't want to hurt you!"

I paused. I slowly turned around without saying a word. I still remained in my spot. "Are you real?" He asked. I nodded.

"Are you lost?"

I hesitated to speak. I had no idea if it was okay to say anything but there is nothing holding me back but myself. "I'm from the Mermaid Island," I answered bitterly.

"Can you repeat that you're pretty far away?"

I couldn't speak any louder so I scouted my body closer to the edge of the water. "I'm from the Mermaid Island," I repeated. The human crouched down. "Why are you here?" He questioned.

I lowered my head, "I rather not talk about it," I said. The human sighed and sat down. "I never expected the first mermaid I meet to be depressed," The human teased. I scoffed and looked at the full Moon, "My decisions will make everyone on the Island disappointed in me. I'm not allowed to be here in the first place."

"So the legends are true? You're not very aggressive," The human addresses. I turn to look at him. "I-I'm not. I'm calm. Who are you to say those accusations?"

"I'm Jungkook. I'm not from here. I came from the other side of the world-"

"YOU DID! HOW IS IT LIKE? DO THEY ANIMALS?" I beamed.

"Woah! Calm down. It isn't anything special," Jungkook said. I lowered my head. "It's nothing special? So it's no different than what it looks like here?" I questioned in disappointment.

"Hey, I didn't mean it that way. There is a lot of things to wonder about around the world."

"I want to explore the world. I want to see how it looks like outside the island!" I grinned. "Then why don't you do it? You're a mermaid you can swim anywhere." Jungkook wondered.

"I wish I could, but I can't when there is a whole island holding me back."

Jungkook touched my shoulder, "Cheer up! I don't think it is that bad."

I look at him and smiled. He's so kind. Why is he like this to me when I'm a whole different species. His touch gave me shivers. "I live without an ending. It's different I guess. You wouldn't understand."

"I may not understand but I want to help. Maybe I can set you free." Jungkook says, standing up straight. I felt excited. I shift my eyes to his hand. I wanted to touch it. He held my hand and I gasped. "What's your name?" He asked.

"I'm Y/n," I answered. Jungkook smirks, "Meet me here again tomorrow morning and we'll discuss more."

I nodded and let go of his hand. I felt hesitant to leave him, and I felt guilt for the rebellious actions am about to commit soon.

It was later that night, I swam back to the island feeling anxious about what my cousin might think of my actions. After all, she's my family and family tells each other everything. I knew I would be punished, and I was prepared for it. I tried to sneak into the lagoon. I sat on a rock and made myself small.

"Y/n, I was looking for you everywhere! Where did you go?" Storm called swimming toward me with Diane next to him. I lowered my head.

I wanted to tell the truth but Diane opened her stupid mouth to speak. "What's your special ability?" She asked. After I heard her voice I knew that I couldn't tell her anything. "About that...I didn't get a special ability. I don't why..." I lied. Storm awed and sat beside me, hugging me tightly.

"I'm so sorry Y/n. Maybe the next 100 moons," Storm comforted. Diane sat down next to me. "How could that work? You're the first mermaid that never got her special ability. I don't understand..." Diane spoke.

"I don't understand either Diane," I replied, looking at the mermaids who got their special ability. I also wondered why it didn't work. I guessed that I have to be on the island to get my ability. Storm kissed my forehead and spoked, "You must be tried, Y/n. Go and rest and you'll get over it tomorrow."

I gave him a small smile, "I guess..."

Both him and Diane left. I crept a smirk on my face. I dived in the water and swam to the beach of the island. I felt euphoric that someone can help me escape the island. There was a catch though. Escaping the mermaid island can result in death. We only found out when my mother tried to escape. She ended up dying for staying too long on the neighbor island.

We didn't know about this. Know we are aware, but that won't hold me back.

My eyes slowly blink open. I saw the sun shining down on me. I sat up and yawned. My whole body was covered in sand. I crawled to the ocean and swam into the lagoon.

"Good morning, Y/n," Mermaids greet me. It was a free day today. Everyone was singing and calm. I sat on my favorite rock. I suddenly heard a scream. Everyone became alarmed. I suddenly felt Storm grabbing me on my shoulder and pulled me in the water.

"Storm, what's wrong!" I wondered.

"Humans. You know what to do," Answers Storm and swam away heading to the front of the island. I felt shocked and bewildered. I followed Storm. Before I knew it, I saw two dead corpses on the beach of the island. Diane's team killed the other humans left. Human blood touched your skin. You gasped the humans drop dead and color the sand red.

I felt guilty as the other mermaids cheered. I didn't even do anything. I only spectated as the others killed. I always feel this way when I see humans die. Sometimes I blame it on myself for not saying anything. Now I'm weaker than the other mermaids.

A/n: unedited