☾03: The Curse☽

IT'S WORSE THAN IT LOOKS

THE CURSE

T H R E E꧂

I watch the other mermaid do the unthinkable with the dead humans. After meeting him last night, I would never do anything like that. They could have families or lovers or friends. I am aware that there are evil humans like there are evil mermaids.

I then remembered. The human last night wanted to meet me again. I almost forgot. I scanned the mermaids, making sure that they were not looking at me. I smirked and jumped into the water. I swam to the tunnel leading into the ocean.

"Where are you going?" I heard a younger mermaid call. I stopped and turned around. "I'm going on a swim..." I lied along with a nervous giggle. "I know you escaped last night. You went to the neighbor island. I saw you and I'm telling Diane," The young mermaid said as she turned around to swim to the island. I gasped and fast in front of her.

"You cannot tell anybody about this!"

The mermaid raised her eyebrow as I begged her. "Yes I escaped last night and I meant a really nice human but you can't tell Diane or Storm," I admitted.

"That's why you don't have your special ability..."

"If anybody asks for me, make up an excuse," I ordered. "Fine, but remember to not touch the dry sand," She reminded me. I rolled my eyes, "I won't, and thank you, Liz," I said as I swam to the island. I carefully crawled to the shore as and waited. After a few seconds, I heard a familiar voice.

"I almost lost hope waiting for you."

I lifted my head to see the man walking towards me. He sat down a few feet away from me. We stared at each other as the water runs over my tail. I clenched my hand on the wet sand and shifted my eyes to his legs.

"You're really quiet. Not like the other mermaids I assume," He spoke.

"I'm not really the singing type," I replied. He smiled and nodded, "What's holding you back?" He asked. I bit my lip nervously.

"It's the curse. The whole island is a curse. My ancestors used to be evil and kill humans so we got punished on the island and generations so on have to suffer the curse," I answered.

"What's the curse?"

"We live without an end and we can't escape the island," I said. He breathed out a sigh. He looked serene as the breeze blew on him. I was confused. What is he thinking about? He scooted closer to me. I moved away from him a little.

"I'm not going to hurt you, Y/n."

I lowered my head and stayed where I was. He moved closer to me not caring about the water running through his lower body. "I'm going to be a good friend Y/n. I'll support your every decision," He spoke.

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"You can do whatever you want if you let yourself," Jungkook answered. I raised my eyebrow. I extend my tail to compare it to his legs. I felt insecure about my tail. "I'm different..." I sighed.

"In a good way," Jungkook adds. "You don't know how many people want to be mermaids."

"Mermaids? Even with the curse? I don't think it's a good idea," I said hugging myself. "Hmm I think you're tail is beautiful. I like the pinkish orangey color," Jungkook commented. I was lost in words. I never had anyone said anything about my tail.

Jungkook giggles. "Looks like you have something on you're cheek," Jungkook mentions, liking his thumb and wiped off the dry blood that landed on my cheek. Jungkook squinted his eyes.

"Is that blood?" He wonders.

"It is..." I confessed shyly. I felt suddenly embarrassed. "I-I didn't kill anybody. It was the other mermaids!" I admitted. Jungkook suddenly starts laughing. I lifted my head and hit him behind his neck. "HEY! Why did you do that!?" He yelps. "Don't laugh at me!" I scolded him and splashed water on him after.

"That's not fair!" He yelled and splashed water on me. "War it is!" I smirked and we started splashing water on each other. It was fun for a while. I was grateful for it but I was upset that I couldn't anything else but sit there.

I've been meeting Jungkook after a week and I got tired of helplessly just sitting there. I wondered what it was like to have legs. I started to envy the humans. I would like to do more things than to just swim around like a fish.

I swam to the beach of the island to meet Storm. I nervously sat beside him wanting to confess something.

"Storm can I ask you something?" I asked.

"Go ahead."

"Do you ever wonder what's it's like to be human?"

Storm turns to me and gives me a deadly glare. "Y/n, don't you ever say that! I don't want you to get in trouble in any way but don't ever mention becoming human because it's impossible!" Storm yelled.

I was shocked by his reaction. "B-But you don't understand! How can you live on this island? Don't you ever wonder what's outside of here!?" I yelled back.

"Y/N YOU KNOW WE HAVE NO DESTINY! EITHER LIVE WITH IT OR DIE!"

My lips trembled and my eyes watered. "WHAT'S THE POINT IF I'M ALREADY DEAD INSIDE?"

Storm scoffed angrily and jumped into the water. I followed him while yelling at him. "LISTEN TO ME STORM!" I yelled until he finally snapped out. "SHUT UP!" He screamed, catching the attention of the whole lagoon.

"What going on here?" Diane chimed in. We both looked at Diane. "Y/n told me she wanted to become human," Storm told her.

"I NEVER SAID THAT—"

"Y/n, quiet. You have caused enough trouble on the island. I have to demand you to stop it or it'll get worse," Diane said, giving me a deadly glare.

"Easy for you to say. You're not a good queen! You're useless! YOU'RE USELESS!" I cried out.

"I might be useless, but I'm more useful than you'll ever be," Diane concluded. I widen my eyes in disbelieve. I panted, trying to hold in my tears. I dived in the water and swam away from the island.

I cried on the shore of the neighbor island. Tears fell nonstop and I felt trap on this stupid curse. My family didn't feel much of a family anymore. They never listen to me. I have no voice on that island. "Hey, are you alright?" I heard Jungkook's voice call from behind me. I cry even more as I hugged the rock beside me.

"Hey, Hey what's wrong?" Jungkook asked as he walks on the water to touch my shoulder. "I hate that island!" I sobbed. "I hate everything about my life!" I added. Jungkook cups my face and wipes my tears. "It's okay...It's okay..." Jungkook whispers in a soft voice.

"It's not. I don't want my life to continue like this. It's stupid. I want to walk on land without getting hurt. I wish I had legs..." I spoke. I sighed and rest my head on the rock. Jungkook bits his lip. He slowly slides his hand off my skin.

"I think I can help you," He began. I slowly turn my head to face him, "How?" I asked coldly. He lowers his head and quickly makes eye contact with me again.

"I promise I'm going to find a way to make you human."

"What!?"

"I said what I said. I'm going to help you to get out of that island so you can live happily," He smiled. I widen my eyes and formed a smile on my face. I couldn't believe it. He's the nicest human I've ever meant. I couldn't hold myself back and hugged him tightly. He rests his chin on my shoulder and placed his hands on my waist pulling me closer to him.

I back away from him, "You promise?"

"I promised."

A/n: unedited