Code IX

Nine

The sound of the shower ending suddenly made me nervous, so I just took the book at the side table, opened a random page, and focused my eyes on the wording that didn't register a bit in my head. I didn't know what came to my head, but I decided that if he started to drive again at late evening, then he would only arrive at the city at night. What could happen if he stay a night, right? Besides, he already promised to behave.

I went to shower first, feeling uncomfortable to just undress in front of someone that was almost liked a stranger, that caused me to bring everything into the shower, even the change of clothes. We are both guys, so I just didn't want to think much of why it embarrassed me so, when Joong just stripped to his shorts and took the towel into the shower, and now came out with just the towel around his waist. Focus, all I need to do was to focus on the page, the same one that had not moved for a few minutes already.

"Is it hot? You could adjust the airconditioner to a lower temperature, want me to do it?", I could hear his voice, and the rummaging of things inside his bag.

"Hot? No. It is comfortable enough", I said without looking at him still. I could hear a small laughter, and his next words caused me to close the book and look up. "Then, why you looked so flushed, Nine? Sunburn?". Joong was standing while holding his clothes, chests still bare and his unruly wet hair still dripping water droplets that ran to his neck and down to his body. The heat that I felt on my face, the blush must be prominent now.

"Yes. My skin burn easily. Water is dripping everywhere, Joong, hurry and finish dressing", I said, proud that I could remain talking without a stutter. Joong raised his brows, but not saying anything. As he was about to take off his towel, swiftly my breath hitched in shock and I closed my eyes too. A chain of laughter ensued and I opened my eyes seeing that everything was still on. My lips pressed in annoyance, he caught me red-handed. Damn him.

"Nine, learnt to hide your emotions first, or else your lie sounded bad, because that gorgeous face showed everything. I'll dress inside the shower", he shook his head in mirth, and walked back into the shower and closed the door. I took a pillow, punched a few times and screamed while burying my face on it. "I heard that...", he said from behind close door, and I didn't care anymore.
"SHUT UP!", I shouted loud enough for him to hear without a doubt.

Joong

I turned here and there, but the cold floor was hurting my back. Such a big mouth, saying that I could sleep on them. How would I know that this hotel didn't have a carpet on, instead of solid wood. Maybe, my movement caused Nine to wake up too, because he turned on the bedside lamp.

"Sorry, did I make too much noise? Sleep back Nine, I'll stay still", I said quietly.

"No, not wake me up, but I can't sleep. That floor must be too cold with the aircond blasting and your back must be hurting. I feel uncomfortable thinking  about it...".

"No,no. Not your fault. I will fall asleep when sleepy enough later. Sleep...you got a long day tomorrow because of today's delay".

Nine sat at the edge of the bed, causing me to sit on the floor too. He looked at me long enough and I waited.

"You're right, Joong", his words made me blinked several times, and he continued, "what you said, that I have nobody besides people in my work circle. They are friends, but I realised, not one of them ever asked how I felt. I lashed out at you, because I felt threatened, that someone who is so new in my life, could detect things that others ignored".

"Why are you keeping everything in, Nine? Being nice to people, even it is part of your work, not meaning you couldn't let your feelings known. It had been eating you from inside".

"I didn't know that I am tired inside. Since you came, only with you that I tend to lash every emotion out", he laughed in exasperation, "I could be patient with everyone, but you. I only saw that, when you said I treated Kim good, but you in the opposite. You confused me much, you know".

"In what way? Because, I'm too blunt, or because I'm too determine to break your barriers?"

"No, not that. I never faced someone that could rile me from curiosity up to anger, hurt and madness; but in the end, made me feel that being with you, I am more human, alive than all this time that I spent drowning in work alone".

My eyes darting all over his face. Are you the dying bloom that I'm supposed to save? But, if it is so easily done, the Enforcer won't put so much effort to send me to this earth, and since the glow on my tattoo had lost the first line while I was showering just now, just him baring his heart out to me, not enough to solve the test.

I extended my hand and Nine looked at it curiously. "Let's start fresh. Being friends. But, I don't want to befriend a smiling cat doll that greeted us on the hotel's counter just now. You could shout at me if I am an ass, or if you don't want my kisses", I teased him a bit, and continued, "I'll accept your nice and tantrum, both".

"Tantrum? When did I do that? I am always level-headed", he said, snorted in irritation.

"That's why you need me, so you could be a little childish and I won't mind, it's for the future", I said, "and, please, my palm keep extending to you liked this so many times today that people might mistaken that I am a puppy". Nine hesitated, but with a resign sigh and finally a smile, he shook my hand liked sealing a deal. His smile somehow made me smile too. Is that happiness? This time my lips curved on it's own, not to imitate a form of happiness that I didn't feel. Amazing.

"Alright, go to sleep now, Nine. You'll be tired later, it's already midnight", I said, almost switching off the bed light to lay down again, but was halted when Nine held my wrist to stop me.

"Joong...if you promise to just sleep, ermm, I...won't mind sharing this bed. It's a bit tight...but better than the floor", Nine said deliberately.

"You'll be uncomfortable...", I hesitated too.

"If you stay down, I won't be able to sleep too, so...please?".

I nodded, and Nine made space on the bed. When I crawled up onto the bed, it really was a bit tight, my long legs needed to bend, but that would take more space, unless Nine bend his legs in the same way too.

"Err, Nine. Don't misunderstand, but I think either you need to sleep on top on my chest, or I could hold you sleeping on our sides, only then we will fit".

The room was charged in silence. Nine was flustered, but he was the one who asked for this.

"Maybe, I should just go back down...", I said, but then was pushed down to lay on the bed in a rush. Nine reached across my body to switch off the light and slowly adjusting his position to lay partly on top of me. My heart, for the first time, was beating out of rhythm. This was so foreign.

"Calmed down, Joong. Don't misunderstand too, or else I'll feel more embarrassed than I already am. Just sleep, alright", he must had heard my heart that beat loudly, because he laid his head on top of my chest, and his hand held my waist, with our legs partly tangled.

After sometimes, my ragging heart calmed down, and I could hear his breathing getting steady, meaning he was already asleep. Slowly, I moved my hands, cuddled him comfortably too, and closed my eyes into a dreamless sleep.