Code XIV

Nine

"Nine!", the sudden call halted my steps. I took a deep breath and turned. Which one?. That was the first thought that came to my mind.

"You didn't pick up my call for a week. So, I am done waiting and just come here. Fortunately, I could catch you before you go out again".

"What do you want, Joong? I'd already made it clear through the HR office. I really can't take another artist under my care. They said you had been informed. If you wanted to tell on me to Mr. Ta, then do so. I don't think we could work together".

"What exactly about me that pissed you up so? Even if you don't want to work with me, I do think it's unfair, that the decision was made without my agreement".

"Then, do whatever you want. You could either stay, but with another manager, or as you said, leave".

"Oh! You know what, Nine, the more you wanted to kick me off from being around you, the more I wanted to know the reason now. Am I too harsh? Direct? You don't like persistent people? Tell me, what about me that needs to change, then I will think about it".

I looked at him and didn't know where or how to start. This was tiring me out, emotionally.

"Can't you just accept that sometimes we just can't push people to like each other, Joong?"

"I'm not that dense, Nine, trust me, but something is so out of place between us, that I am determined to make right. But, I can't do it alone, you need to want to make it right too!", his voice was pressed. He was holding his wrath from lashing out on me.

I wiped my face, once again I hated this feeling of madness. "Are you adopted? Do you somehow have a secret twin, somewhere?", I asked, just in case, but very unlikely.

"What? Alright, though it's weird, I'll answer you still; not adopted and never have a twin. What's that got to do with us?".

"It's for my sanity, take it just as that", I said, and suddenly staggered as my balance was off. Joong moved closer and held my arms tight.

"Are you not feeling well? Did I make you feel worse? You should have told me that, I'll stop. I'm sorry".

I closed my eyes that felt a bit prickly. Great, really great, his concern only made me feel liked I was back, crying inside someone's embrace. I opened my eyes after holding back my tears, and pushed his hands gently. "Nothing. Just lack of sleep. Something was bordering me this week. Thanks for the concern anyway".

Joong sighed heavily, rubbed his nape and finally said, "If there's nothing else we could do, then let's just say goodbye here then. Your eyes were in tears just now...". I looked at him a little shock, I thought it was hidden well, and he continued, "To be honest, I felt dejected being treated this way when I don't know what went wrong. But, I would rather leave than seeing you being so weary around me, and almost at your breaking point too. You don't have to worry, it will all be on me. I'll tell them that I changed my mind and decided not to do this...goodbye".

I looked at his dejected back. My heart was scrunching with guilt. But really, this was not my best point in life, even if he stayed, we could never be even friends, until I could convince myself that the other Joong didn't exist.

***

"You must know the reason you're called, right?". I nodded and composed myself to hear it from Mr. Ta. He was a good man, but also business minded, so the company, values more than personal relationship hiccups.

"Your tasks is simple, Nine. To persuade him to sign the contract. Do you know how much publicity this company could benefit from that alone. His family influence is notable. I managed to pique his interest, and it seems somehow you've ruined them...".

I looked up. Did he tell?."No. Don't give me that look, he just said he changed his mind, but I am in this industry long enough to know that something made him changed his mind. The HR said, you keep asking them to find him a new manager? Are you slacking off with your job now, aside from pushing potentials away?".

"You know me better than that, Mr.Ta..."

"Yes. Definitely. Then, the more I am convinced something went wrong between the two of you that cause you to behave out of character. Nine, you know that business and personal issues must be separated. Bring him back, use any way".

"But, Sir..", my words were hushed as Mr. Ta raised his hand.

"We are looking to promote you to senior manager position, but if your attitude change affects your performance, then something needs to be reviewed again. Don't push me to do that. Now, you may leave".

With heavy steps, I left the Executive Office, without realising the cynical smirk coming from Mr. Ta. All I could do, if nothing else work, was to leave the company. Damn, in this economy, it'll be hard to start again somewhere else, more so finding a job first. I was not born with silver spoon, liked the person that I needed to bring back in.

Joong

Their conversation was within my earshots. They didn't see me who was just coming out from cleaning the washroom. Yes. Because Joong yet to come regularly to the company, I guess it was still alright to pretend, nobody noticed someone who cleaned  the office anyway. With the uniform and face mask on, I was hidden well.

Nine was acting weary around Joong. Not angry, not excited, nor pleasant. I was a bit surprised. With how good we're getting along during the whole offsides work, Nine supposed to be comfortable, not act up liked this.

I wanted to connect, but that would cause the Hunters to read the information too. No, I must not give him that advantage. Him being the authority in this company, had already given him such huge advantage.

When Joong walked away, I could see Nine squatted and buried his face in his palms, silently weeping. Crying? Why, Nine?. After a while, he stood up and ran into the washroom to clean his face, not realising it was me who stood at the entrance door pretending to empty the garbage bin.

I went back in, and took the mop to wipe the floor. As I was mopping, Nine who already washed his face and drying his hands, received a call.

"Yes. Alright, P'Jen. I understand. No, P' doesn't have to take responsibility, I am the one who asked to find him a new manager. I'm sorry, because of me, P' is scolded by the team leader. Please tell him, that I'll go and see Mr. Ta, since the problem is caused by me, I'm sorry again".

My teeth gritted hearing that name. He must had caused unnecessary chaos, just to chain Nine and bring back Joong. Nine's shoulders looked down. Unconsciously, I wanted to go there and give him a big hug. He looked so small being miserable liked this. He schooled his face back to a fake calm, while looking at the mirror, and only then walked out.

Looking at his back, I really again feel that I would rather not think about solving the test, but just to keep his pain away.