Code XXI

Another Earth

"What's happened, Ta? It's taking longer than we predicted", Archen had become the biggest complication in all these years.

"We had tried our best Sir. We brought Joong in, but it seems Nine and him, their relationship is not moving any further than colleagues".

"They're in love with each other, before!. You witnessed it the last time too. Then, why didn't they connect, now?".

"Sir, as you know, time bend is fragile and one change leads to another. Not only when you change the past it affects the future, it works backward as well. When the future is severed, the past rearranged itself as well".

"Rearrangement, it could be put back to right. There must be something that hindered their relationship to grow. Find out the cause behind them, we must stop history to repeat itself. There's only so much interference we could do before it jeopardise the existence of Another Earth. I put my neck in place when we travel back 500 years to bring the future forward, only for this world to be messed up by a single human. It's unfortunate that you're stuck on earth as well because of this, but remember our mission, it's for the greater good of making a perfect earth. Thus, we put the burden on your shoulder Ta. Report back the progress, once things going back on track".

Nine

"Nine! What a coincidence to see you here...", that voice that greeted me, suddenly made my blood turned cold. Damn!. I stood up from the bench that  I sat on while waiting for Chen.

"Joong, hi...", my eyes were darting. The phone was in my pocket, but, I couldn't simply called Chen to tell him to not come here when Joong was already standing in front of me.

"Why do you looked nervous out of sudden? Not feeling well?", Joong was about to step forward, but I flinched. His expression looked a bit hurt.

"Nothing, Joong. I...am waiting for a friend, he needed to run to another store at the upper level and I waited for him here".

"Anyone I know? From the office? If so, let's sit for a drink, together. I'm not in a rush for anything".

"Err, Joong, maybe this is not the right time...sorry...", I said but felt guilty as his smile, wavered a bit.

"Oh, because you said friend, I thought it is just an outing, my bad. Just tell me directly next time, if it is a date. But, it is rather, a well kept secret, huh?".

"Excuse me? Secret?", I shook my head, a little confused.

"I asked around. They said you're never seen or known to be with anyone. So, I just assumed, that you're single".

"You asked around? What has that got to do with us?"

Before Joong could answer, my phone rang. It's Chen. "Where are you?.. No, don't move from there, I'll go to you, you are at the opposite wing...", I looked at Joong, to excuse myself, and he nodded.

I walked away as fast to fetch Chen. We must leave the mall, there was no assurance that our path and Joong, wouldn't cross again.

"Chen! Let's go home!", I grabbed his hand and pulled him to follow me.

"Ah? But, we already bought tickets for the movie...you said you have waited months for it to be released...".

"Later. The movie can wait...".

My phone rang again, it's Joong. I wanted to scream, but bit down my lips and answered. My other hand was still holding Chen's.

"Yes, Joong?".

"Turn around", my blood was rushing again, "you left your cap on the bench, I almost lost you but you said the opposite wing, so I ran to this end", I could see Joong, at the far side, dangling my cap to show me and was walking towards us. I cut the line off.

"Chen, casually, could you walk away, Joong is heading here. I'll make up something...", I whispered and released Chen's hand. He walked away quitely, just as Joong was just a few steps away.

"Here, your cap", I could see Joong's eyes were following the back of Chen.

"Thanks. You could just keep it, and give to me later at the office, you know..."

"Yes. I know. But...actually, it's just an excuse..."

"Excuse? For what?".

"To see for myself, whom you're with. You didn't exactly say you're on a date, so I wanted to believe that maybe I assumed wrongly again. But then, I saw just now. ..that you're holding that guy's hand. Why did he leave?".

"To...erm, pay for the car park ticket, this is Sunday! So...people would be queuing up..", my heart was jumping. Lying was really not my thing.

"You're nervous again? Nine, I won't tell anyone, if that's the reason...", he said and rubbing my arms to calm me down. I sighed heavily, and nodded. This was really tiring.

"Thank you for this", I said and put the cap back on, "but, I'm still confused of why you're curious about my status, Joong. Never knew this nosy side of you", I said and smiled.

"Nothing", he said but looked a bit grim, "go on, your friend must be waiting...I'll...move on too", he turned around and left.

Joong

I shouldn't have connected, but I was curious of what had transpired. I sighed again, looking at my tattoo. Why do I feel liked I am not supposed to be in between those two? But, Nine insisted that we try. Today was supposed to be spent as a "date", that's what he told me. But, since the coincidence happened, we rushed back home, and now I was over thinking, about us.

My thoughts were interrupted as Nine sat besides me, with two cans of soda and a bag of chips. Since the movie date was cancelled, he suggested we cuddled on the sofa, and watched a home movie instead.

"Aren't you a bit curious of Joong's interest about your affairs?", I asked after a while of watching the screen without being able to focus on the storyline. Nine sat up from leaning on my arm, surprised.

"You connected? Chen, the Hunters..."

"Joong; they brought him into the company, so they knew, it doesn't matter. So, your answer?"

"It's normal for artists and managers to take care of one another, Chen".

"Even on relationship; whom you see, off work?"

"Depends. If we're close enough, then yes. I did sometimes know earlier before the press does".

"Joong looked exactly liked me, and he is more laid back too. More so, he could understand your feelings and thoughts. So, isn't it better for you, to be with him, rather than me?"

"Wait, what is this? Are you sulking, or jealous?".

"I don't know what that is. I am just  suggesting the best option for you, considering all feasible aspects".

"Hmm, maybe you're right...", he said while nuzzling my neck with his lips, and held my arm tight.

"Then, you should go to him...", I tried to pull my arm from his hold but my determination depleted, when the fleeting light, biting kisses, had started to leave a heated trail.

"I'm not finished...maybe you're right, if it is based on your way of thinking. But, you're missing one aspect, which not exactly feasible, but very very important indeed"

"And that is..?"

"Sparks. For now, the only person I felt it with...is you".