Chapter VI. A liar.

As it got later into the night, the celebration started to fade.

It was three o'clock in the morning. The newlyweds had already left, and most of the guests went home.

Only a handful of them remained. Some danced to the barely audible sounds of music; some chatted at the tables.

Hermione decided it was time for her to go to bed at The Burrow. Mrs. Weasley kindly let Hermione to stay at Ginny's old room,

As she left the tent though the cool night breeze refreshed her mind. Granger realized that she wasn't so sleepy after all. The girl decided to wander around The Burrow, enjoying the silence of the night. However, Draco Malfoy has appeared out of nowhere, interrupting all her plans.

- Walking around, Granger?

- Go home, Malfoy, - the girl muttered, passing by without even looking at him.

- I asked you not to call me that, - replied young lord.

- I asked you to leave me alone, - Hermione retorted.

- Your outfit doesn't leave me a choice, - the former Slytherin grinned.

- Shall I take it off? - asked the girl.

- I mean you definitely could. I'd even help you – the blonde man smiled. – Yet, I don't think that it will make things better for you, Granger.

Hermione rolled her eyes and decided that her initial idea to go to sleep wasn't so bed after all.

- Since the situation is so difficult, - she said sarcastically. - I'm going to bed.

Hermione turned around and started walking towards The Burrow, but the blonde's strong hand grabbed her wrist. The witch stared at him in surprise. She wanted to resent, but something in the guy's look stopped her.

- Let's stroll for a bit, please, - Draco asked in a hoarse voice. He let go of Hermione's hand and, flexing his right arm at the elbow, froze in an inviting position.

Hermione was struck by his offer, but, after a few moments, she accepted his hand. For several minutes, they walked in silence, both lost in their thoughts. Hermione furtively scanned Malfoy's profile. She wasn't surprised to see how much he changed over the years. He was no longer a lost boy, whose life seemed like a hopeless existence. Malfoy become a wealthy, strong man, who was confident in his life choices.

- It's not very nice to stare at people, Granger, - Malfoy remarked, glaring at her with his icy eyes.

- Sorry, I'm just happy to see how much you've change since the last time I saw you.

- You know, Granger, you've changed, too. I don't know if there is anything left of you that I knew. What happened to the overconfident know-it-all girl? You look too confused.

- Self-confident know-it-all girl, as you say, got lost in nescience and her too overwhelming feelings. I dropped out of life for three years, thinking that I was creating a new one. And now I met my friends again, to whom I have to explain why I disappeared. But I don't know if I can explain it even to myself. I just did what felt right at the moment, very selfish.

- Oh, c'mon Granger! Potter and the Weasley are ready to drool over you, and follow you everywhere. They are nothing without you. Do you really think they will kick you out?

- Just a few hours ago, you had a very different opinion, - Hermione narrowed her eyes, stopping.

- I exaggerated a bit, - Malfoy shrugged casually.

Hermione rolled her eyes and shook her head in disbelief. Draco swayed on his toes, looking relaxed.

- It seems I am better to go to sleep - said young woman. - I seem day-dream of you admitting your lies.

It was Malfoy's turn to roll his eyes.

- I didn't say that I lied. I'm just saying that I may have embellished reality before to hurt you.

- You're drunk! Because you're definitely admitting lying!

- I'm not drunk, - the blonde guy replied quickly, but when he saw Hermione's suspicious look, he added. - Not as much as you think.

Hermione chuckled.

- Anyway, I really should go to bed. Good night, Malfoy, - she said, wrapping up the conversation.

- Why are pretending? Why are you so aloof around me? - Draco called after her.

- What? - Hermione stopped, turning around.

- Why do you behave as if what happened on Victory Day and after it means nothing to you? - Malfoy asked.

The girl bit her lip nervously.

- Because it is nothing. What happened is in the past. No doubt it is my mistake, but I moved on, - she said trying to make her voice as confident as possible. After that, she quickly walked into the house, leaving Malfoy behind.

Draco continued their unpretentious walk to nowhere, firmly convinced that she was lying.