Chapter III. Questions.

When the whole ceremony was over, George and Mr. Weasley parted the chairs, levitated tables in, and the feast began.

The annoying Rita Skitter immediately jumped up to Hermione.

- Will you tell the Daily Prophet where you have been for the last three years, honey?

- I was in India, - the girl breathed wearily, clearly not happy to see Skitter.

- Who were you with there? What did you do? - The journalist inundated Granger with questions.

- No comments, - Granger snapped irritably.

- Come on! Tell me your story, and it will grace the front page! - Skitter insisted.

- No comments, - Hermione repeated firmly, sliding in a chair at the first table she could find in a desperate attempt to escape. Unfortunately, it wasn't Hermione's best move. Young Lord Malfoy was sitting at that table.

- Granger, - he drawled in his own manner.

- Malfoy, - the girl drawled, imitating him.

Rita Skitter followed her to the table, taking a seat.

- Why did you cut your hair? Are you tired of their tendency to create a nest on your head? And how did your relationship with Potter and the Weasleys changed since your disappearance?

- No comments! - Granger snapped.

- But, darling...

- Get lost, Skitter, - Malfoy cut in. - Can't you see Hermione is busy talking to me. We are discussing beautiful Indian sunsets that we have seen together.

Either Draco's stern gaze scared her off or she got enough information for "a spicy article", finally, Skitter retreated.

- Well, what was that? - Asked the brown-haired woman.

Malfoy shrugged.

- I saved you from questioning.

- By letting Rita Skitter think that we were together in India? - Hermione arched her eyebrow.

- So what? She would still write some heresy about you having a threesome with Potter and Weasel. This way your "holy" friendship will not be affected, - Malfoy said with obvious sneer. - Plus, for the first time in her life, Skitter won't be so far off the truth.

Hermione decided to pretend that the last Malfoy's phrase did not knock the soil out from under her feet (after all, someone could've heard them!).

- And this, of course, will make the situation better, - the girl replied sarcastically.

- Oh yeah, most definitely, - Draco replied, deliberately ignoring the sarcasm. - Speaking of your conversations with Skitter, what DID you do with your hair? - He asked.

- I cut them, Malfoy! You know, this is when you take scissors and...

- Very funny, Granger, we all are laughing here, - the boy interrupted her.

- What is up with you, Malfoy?

- With me? - The blonde asked in surprise. - I'm fine, thanks for asking. You know, there was a war, during which I somehow managed to grow up. You know, growing up is a process when you rethink your life and start making adult decisions. Which, obviously, hasn't happened to you yet, - he said angrily.

- I didn't know you were capable of growing up, - Hermione replied tartly.

- I didn't know you could run away to India for three years and abandon your beloved friends, especially the Weasel. - Malfoy straightened up in his chair in his aristocratic manner, an ugly grin darkening his pale face. It was evident that everything he said was only to hurt Granger as much as she had once hurt him.

- I don't think my disappearance is any of your business, - Hermione replied calmly, getting to her feet.

- It is not, - Malfoy agreed. - But I think that none of them, your friends, will reveal the truth to you. You left them at the most difficult moment for them, and now they have pushed you out. Rest assured, the role of bridesmaid is your last role in their lives.

Pain, resentment, and anger raised in Hermione. The stronger of them all was the anger at herself, because she knew that Malfoy was right. The girl closed her eyes, sighed and, opening her eyes, walked away from him.

- And by the way, nobody told you? Weasley found you a replacement! He's been fooling around with a little Veela for about a year now! – Malfoy yelled after her.