Chapter Three: Evidence

In this chapter, Erica explains to Ben about a certain gun and the uses for it, but I don't know much about guns and had to rely on research. If I got anything wrong, please correct me in the comments and I will edit the story.
Again, there are more spoilers and references from SSR.
Thanks, and enjoy!

After Erica left, I thought about what Erica had told me: who hated me so much they would frame me for a crime?

And, to be honest, I could only think of two possibilities: leftover agents from SPYDER, or the Croatoan.

SPYDER used to be a massive evil organization that was extremely clever and had come up with many, many plans to try and get tons of money. Ever since I joined spy school, though, I'd been able to find out their plans and thwart them each time, causing them to become more and more invested in the idea of recruiting me to become a double agent. However, at some point, when it became clear I wouldn't do such a thing, they started making attempts on my life and my reputation. Fortunately, a while back, my friends and I managed to defeat them once and for all.

The Croatoan was an evil organization as well - perhaps even more so than SPYDER. They were the root cause of many incidents in the United States, in an attempt to bring down the country, from assassinations of presidents to the Great Depression. Not only were they evil, but they were also extremely secretive - so much so that their existence was just a myth until Erica and I managed to prove to the CIA that the Croatoan was very real and very much still active.

But, there was the problem of infiltration: nobody at SPYDER or the Croatoan knew the school well enough to sneak inside, kill off the principal, and plant evidence in my room. If the perpetrator was really from either of those organizations, then that meant there was a mole at the school (although DADD - Double Agent Detection Division - had finished fishing out all the moles from SPYDER through a list I uncovered after we defeated them).

I shivered at the thought.

There was also the question of their reason for choosing to kill the principal. What benefit would it give them to murder the principal?

Because of these thoughts swirling through my head, I barely got any sleep. I couldn't focus in class as a result of my tiredness, and probably looked like Frankenstein - which only managed to increase my personal bubble up to the size of a mansion.

However, it was probably good that I couldn't sleep, because at midnight, Erica contacted me.

"Ripley, you awake?"

I'd decided to keep my earpiece in at all times, just in case Erica contacted me again (although I prayed Erica wouldn't do so while I was sitting on the toilet), only occasionally taking it out to give my ear a break - it really hurt to keep it in all the time.

I coughed in confirmation.

"You can talk. I disabled the microphones, so they won't hear anything. You won't believe how easy it is to infiltrate the school's security system."

"What'd you find?" I asked.

"Straight to the point, eh? Well, the bullet they took out of the principal and the gun they found in your room match - a nine-millimeter."

I waited for an explanation. I'd probably skimmed over information about 9mms in the book about weapons, but I hadn't really processed the information.

"Nine-millimeters are being used by the US Army, the Marines, the Air Force, the Navy, and even the FBI. Keep that in mind, because that could suggest that our Jane Doe is related to the government, perhaps having parents or relatives that work for the government."