We can't do anything

Stevie asked Lindsey not to come. She said they would talk tomorrow, that she was too exhausted to be dealing with whatever he found next to his room. He was reluctant, but was he really going to keep banging at her door until she let him in, when someone was clearly watching them and rather closely too. Stevie didn't sleep much, she spent the majority of her night furiously journaling, letting out her frustration about Lindsey mostly. 

They met the following morning for breakfast, downstairs of the hotel. Her face was make up less, hair in a ponytail, dressed in black from head to toe. She wasn't even hungry, but eating breakfast together seemed innocent enough. 

Lindsey was a few minutes late, she saw him carrying something in his hand. He pulled out a chair and sat down in front of her. "Hey."

"Hey. Is that..."

"Yeah." He put another set of pictures on the table and slid them towards her.

Stevie looked through what she was given, whoever was the photographer, was perfect at their job, capturing their warm embrace and the kiss. She sighed closing her eyes and gave back the pictures to Lindsey. He saw her lower lip trembling.

"Please, don't cry..." He whispered and she took a few deep breaths, dabbing under her eyes with a napkin.

"The sad thing is we can't do anything about it. We have someone following us probably at all times and we can't even go to the police or... I don't know. Just that we're incapable of taking action." 

"There was a note too, I think I left it upstairs."

"Another one?"

Lindsey nodded. "Feeling brave? That's what it said."

"God... This is so fucking messed up."

"I don't understand why would someone want to waste their time on us."

"Money. We might be old and boring, but you have a wife. You wouldn't want this to get out or her to receive these." 

"I feel we're being watched now too."

"We probably are."

"I'm afraid to look at you, let alone touch you and it's really hard."

"You can't get that close to me, not right now or... ever."

"Ever?"

"Lindsey, if this person knows where we are day or night, don't you reckon they can contact Kristen as easily too?"

"I can't possibly stay away from you!"

"You should probably keep your voice down."

"This is frustrating." He groaned, putting his head in his hands. "I can't be without you, Stevie. I can't."

"You can't leave your wife either."

"I wish we were two ordinary people, allowed to live our lives however we please."

"But we're not, Lindsey. You're faced with a decision."

"Don't push me... I can't do this, not yet."

"Then when?!" She was now reminding herself to lower her voice. 

"Stella is just a child still. I can't take away a family from her."

"They're always going to be your children. You can be eighty years old and you would find this hard to do no matter what." 

"What am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know, I can't decide for you."

"I've hurt you so much over the years, but my heart is breaking, Steph... I love you and I can't be with you. You say I have everything, but I don't, not until I have you as well." 

"That might never happen. You can't sit and hope that things will sort themselves out. I understand that it's hard for you, I've never said it wasn't, but how long do you think I can go on like this?" She reached across the table for his hand, not too worried that they might be getting more snaps of them. "I often think that I will be the first person to die of a broken heart..."

He grabbed her hand, holding onto it tightly, lifting his tear filled eyes to meet hers. "I wish we had never met. Life would be a lot easier."

"Don't say that. You know it's a massive lie. My life would be completely meaningless without you in it." She smiled sadly. "Where would I be without you..." He didn't say anything, standing up abruptly and dragging her towards the elevators. "What are you doing?!" She didn't get an answer to that either as he pushed the number of his floor. "Lindsey, talk to me!" He took her face in his hands and kissed her with all that he had in him. "We can't do that..." She said silently before the elevator stopped and they had to walk out. Still her hand in his, Lindsey led their way to his room, unlocked it quickly and pushed her inside. "Didn't we just discussed..." His lips silenced hers again. They were in the safety of his room, nobody would see them in there, right? She gave in, wrapping her arms around his neck as he efortlessly lifted her up, holding her by her thighs. 

Her back hit the mattress of the king sized bed, their lips not breaking apart once. His fingers found the elastic band she had used to tie her hair up and pulled it out, her blond locks covering the pillows. He was working on the buttons of her shirt, spreading it apart, lifting her upper body off the bed to slide the material down her arms, taking off her bra too while at it. 

She finally broke the kiss, gasping for air. "I love you so much." 

"I love you too." He replied, gently biting her earlobe. 

She moaned, grinding against him, his jeans blocking his arousal from her touch. She lifted his t-shirt over his head, softly grazing his skin with her fingernails. He kissed every inch of her skin in his way down. Placing kisses on her belly, he pulled down her leggings, leaving her just in her lacy underwear. He moved back up, claiming her lips again, while sliding his hand in the gap between the material and her skin. She was more than ready for him, his fingers moving slickly. 

She had to make his hand stop from moving, being already entirely too close to screaming his name in ecstasy. His jeans had become too tight, almost causing him physical pain. He brought them down, while she got completely naked too, awaiting the sweet sensation of them joined as one.

Her nails dug into the muscles of his back as he pushed himself in with one swift thrust. He wasn't playing around, it wasn't about making love, it was desperation and the need to feel each other more than ever before.

Tears started forming in her eyes that she kept locked with his. His breathtaking blue oceans she loved to lose herself in... They didn't look away for one second until he emptied himself inside of her, burying his face into the curve of her neck.

He was breathing heavily, repeating over and over again that this wasn't a goodbye.