Math Class

What the hell is this? Is this even considered math anymore? We were never taught how to do this, I swear. I angrily, yet quietly, put my pencil down and ran a hand through my blonde hair. Math isn't one of my strongest subjects, but at least I could do it. This was just undoable at the grade level we are at.

      I sighed and looked at the clock. 30 more minutes. I internally groaned as I thought of a way to get out of doing this worksheet when suddenly the door slowly creaked open. In the doorway stood a short brunette wearing a green shirt and jeans. The shirt was long-sleeved, so his fingertips just barely peeked out through them. His nails were painted black and he wore a necklace that had a bee charm on it.

      This kid is definitely going to be bullied. I thought. I mean, he's small, his nails are painted, and he's wearing a necklace. He is a prime target for anyone that wants a punching bag for the day. It saddened me to think that because he looked really happy at that moment, but for no apparent reason. He just had a positive aura around him.

      The teacher looked up from her desk and glared at the doorway before softening her eyes. "Toby. Welcome. We're working on a worksheet right now, but you don't have to do it if you don't want to. Just take a seat and I'll talk to you after class." She went back to grading papers.

      Some people looked away from 'Toby' and went back to work, but others, like me, kept our eyes on him as he scanned the room for an empty seat. He didn't even seem fazed by the fact he was being watched.

      Toby and I made eye contact, then he looked at the empty seat to my left. He started walking up to me and I simply held my breath as I waited for him to arrive. When he put his bag down next to the chair, he smiled at me and sat down. I smiled back.

      That's the end of the interaction. Move on. I thought to myself, and so, I did. I looked back down at my paper, the smile instantly dropping as I remembered the math I had to do. I picked up my pencil and rested my head in my hand, deciding to just sit here for the next 28 minutes until the class is over.

      I guess Toby noticed my dilemma because he reached over and slid the paper over to him as he looked at it. After examining it, he held his hand out to me, as if telling me to give him the pencil. I obliged and gave him the pencil.

      He scribbled on the paper for a good three minutes, then slid it back to me and leaned back in his chair and watched my reaction. He solved the problem I was having trouble with and wrote a little note on the side. 'Hello :)' It said. I glanced back at him and smiled, then wrote down my response.

      'Hello Toby :)' He read it in his head, then furrowed his brow in confusion. He wrote something, then slid the paper back again.

      'How do you know my name?' I nearly laugh out loud at this.

      'The teacher said it when you walked in'

      'Oh, ok but call me Tubbo' I smiled at him and nodded.

      'My name is Tommy' I thought for a second. 'Do you want to sit with me at lunch?' He looked at the sentence then nodded his head at me, smiling widely.