Chapter Five

The scent of rot filled Puddlepaw's nose, and her eyes opened to a black sky. The world around her was cold, the air thick as she breathed. Beneath her was squishy, wet mud that clogged her claws and tugged at her fur. Puddlepaw gagged, feeling vomit rise in her chest. Where was she?"

"Puddlepaw." A voice called for her softly, and she jerked, eyes wide.

Not this again.

"No, let me go home! Leave me alone!" Puddlepaw pushed through the mud, her eyes burning at it's stench. Why did it smell so bad?

Something clawed at her back legs and she yelped, turning. Her heart skipped a beat at what she saw.

A decaying body was rising from the mud beneath her, it's claws dug into her hind legs. Blank eyes stared at her, the harsh stench of blood mingling with the rot.

"Go away! Go away!" Puddlepaw howled, closing her eyes and shaking her head, wishing to wake from this nightmare.

Puddlepaw sat up with a gasp, eyes opening to sunlight drafting into the den. She was alone in the early morning, and she turned her head quickly to her hind legs, but found nothing clinging to her any more. The disgusting scents were already being replaced with the familiar ones of her denmates, and with a sigh she drew herself to her paws. These nightmares needed to end.

Pulling herself out into the morning light, Puddlepaw stretched and shook her fur out in the cold air, looking around. The morning patrols seemed to have already left. Barkfeather, she noticed, was sitting beneath the Highrock, Bumblescar and Mallowshine sitting by him and speaking to him. Barkfeather seemed to barely be listening, however, just nodding mindlessly. Bumblescar and Mallowshine gave him a strange look, but didn't seem brave enough to question their deputy.

Barkfeather had been off ever since the Gathering, and Puddlepaw chalked it up to the stress of being a deputy.

Puddlepaw trotted over to the freshkill pile and picked up a fat mouse, looking around for Nightflower. She saw her in the mouth of the medicine cats den, eyes shut. She opened them when Puddlepaw approached, and gave a raspy purr.

"What have you brought me?" Nightflower asked, and Puddlepaw dropped the mouse.

"A mouse! I thought we could eat together." Nightflower nodded, and took a small bite while Puddlepaw snuggled up to her side, and began eating as well.

"You were such a small kit." Nightflower murmured as Puddlepaw licked blood off of her nose, whiskers twitching. "I can barely believe how much you've grown. And your coat." Nightflower drew a paw over Puddlepaw's back. "Thick, like your father." Puddlepaw purred, looking up at her mother.

"Heavytail says one day I'll be as big as Barkfeather, maybe even bigger." She turned her gaze to the High Rock where Redstar sat with his mate, Morningsky. Nightflower followed her gaze, nodding.

"You'll be leader one day, just like my father. It's in your blood." Puddlepaw blinked, looking over at her.

"Are you sure?" Nightflower nodded, leaning down and giving her cheek a loving lick.

"I know it. You're such a strong cat already. If only Fallowkit and Violetkit had survived..." Nightflowers voice grew soft, and Puddlepaw felt a pang for the littermates she'd never met. Puddlepaw nudged her mother, purring louder.

"They'll be waiting for you in Starclan." After a beat Puddlepaw shifted back, eyes shining. "That won't be for a while, right?" Nightflower laughed softly, and shook her head.

"I will not be seeing Starclan for many moons, don't you worry, little one." Nightflower murmured, touching her nose to her daughter's ear.

"Puddlepaw!" The apprentice lifted her head, watching as Stonepaw ran over. "Me and Owlwing were about to go do some battle training, do you want to join us?" Puddlepaw glanced at her mother, and Nightflower gave a small nod. Puddlepaw took one last bite from the mouse, and jumped up.