Chapter Fifteen

Puddlepaw stared in shock as Redstar's body was flung from the fox's jaws as Barkfeather attacked the creature, clinging to its face. The fox yipped, twisting and turning and trying to wrench the deputy off of it. Barkfeather clung on however, clawing at its eyes and ear before the fox finally slammed him to the ground, and turned tail to flee, some of the warriors taking off after it to make sure it fled the territory. Barkfeather stood up, shaking out his pelt and flinging droplets of blood before he sped over to Puddlepaw, his eyes wide.

"Are you alright? Where does it hurt?" The deputy sniffed his daughter up and down, licking her ears comfortingly. Puddlepaw shifted, pulling herself up to sit. Her muscles ached and her head spun, but she forced herself to sit and breathe.

"I just.. hit the ground hard, I'm fine." She looked at her tail, relieved to see it still there, however bloody it was. She then turned to look at Redstar, wheezing, "Is he dead?"

Barkfeather turned and looked at the leader, who laid lifeless in the snow, his blood melting the top layer. Blazingstrike sniffed hesitantly at his face, Hayfeather helping Heavytail to stand. The clearing was silent, not a single sound escaping as they stared at their leader, waiting.

Redstar's bleeding stopped, and Puddlepaw wondered if she saw his bite healing, or if she had hit her head harder than she thought. Then, with a raspy breath, Redstar jerked awake, panting. He heaved himself up, coughing and spitting blood from his mouth. Barkfeather relaxed visibly, breathing a sigh of relief. The warriors relaxed, and Redstar caught his breath for a moment before he spun around, his muzzle scrunched up into a hiss.

"Barkfeather!" The revived leader snapped. "What were you thinking, tracking a fox with only a new warrior, an apprentice and her mentor? I thought you knew better!" Barkfeather shrank some, and Puddlepaw was shocked to see her prideful father succumb to the leaders verbal assault.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to find where it's den was." Barkfeather said softly, and Heavytail gave a snort.

"You refused to leave even when we found the den." Redstar pricked his ears, and Barkfeather threw a growl at Heavytail. Blazingstrike stepped forward, nodding.

"You could've gotten us killed. Haven't you lost enough of your family to learn?" Barkfeather whipped his head around, snarling as he launched at the orange tabby, throwing him to the ground and shoving a paw on his cheek, claws unsheathed.

"Don't you dare speak of Nightflower like that. Never speak to me like that again! Have you forgotten who I am?!" Barkfeather snarled, pushing Blazingstrikes head into the snow. Blazingstrike bared his teeth, hissing.

"Enough!" Redstar yowled, and Barkfeather pushed himself off Blazingstrike, his tail lashing. Blazingstrike pushed himself up, spitting at Barkfeather. "I said enough, Blazingstrike." Redstar made a face, sighing.

"This battle was not needed. But, it showed me something." Barkfeather glanced at his leader, curiosity in his gaze. "Starclan needs to speak with me. I will leave to visit them tomorrow, leaving at sunhigh." He turned to Puddlepaw, and she could see how tired he was, past the anger and confusion. "Apprentices are supposed to make their journey to visit the Moonstone halfway through their training. You think you'll be alright to come?" Puddlepaw blinked, surprised.

"Ah, yes. I think so." Puddlepaw ached, and she would feel sore tomorrow, but she didn't want to give up this chance to visit the Moonstone. Redstar nodded, then looked to Heavytail. Heavytail shook his head, coughing.

"My bones are getting old. I won't be able to make the journey, not after this. I'll ask Owlwing to go." Redstar nodded.

"Good idea. I'll have Stonepaw come as well. Let's get back to camp, and get your wounds healed." Redstar turned, heading up the slope and out of the clearing. Puddlepaw pushed herself to her paws, shaking her fur out.