The Runaway

It was another day outside some obscure Fire Nation village. I watched from a stream as Toph and Katara had training with Aang. Although, if you had to guess, you would think it was Toph and Katara fighting.

The two of them has taken positions across from each other. Ready to do some bending, they glared daggers at each other. Meanwhile, Aang blindfolded himself, oblivious to the obvious term oil between the two girls.

"Okay, I'm ready for some training!" He called out happily. He took a step towards them, and I could tell he was listening intently for at signs of attack.

Suddenly he slid in zigzags as Toph made pillars eject out of the the ground. He redirected a stream of water Katara sent at him and shot a rock in Toph's direction. She intercepted it, grinning.

"Nice job, Twinkle-Toes. Visualize, then attack." She flung the boulder towards Aang, who buried himself in the ground. I winced as the rock struck Katara instead.

"Maybe you should take your own advice, Toph!" Katara snapped.

Toph snickered. "What's the matter? Can't handle a little dirt, Madame Fussy-Britches?"

Fuming, Katara created a huge wave. She didn't hit Aang, but allowed it to splash over Toph, soaking her completely.

"Oh, I'm sorry, did I splash you, mud-slug?"

Toph surged forward on a moving rock, and Katara on a sheet of ice. The two elements clashed and Katara and Toph began grappling with each other. Aang, still blindfolded, looked up. "Are we taking a break?"

I opened my mouth, to yell at the two of them, but at that moment, Sokka sprinted at Aang, arm raised and ready to strike.

"SNEAK ATTAAACK!" He yelled. Aang lazily threw up his arm, bringing a rock pillar up from the ground that Sokka slammed into.

"Sokka, sneak attacks don't work if you yell it out loud," Aang told him, lifting off his blindfold. I began laughing, but stopped as I noticed Katara and Toph.

The two of them were fighting in a mud pit. Toph bared her teeth and growled, "care for a mud pie?" She slammed her foot into the mud, sending up a spray that showered Katara in the stuff.

Katara jumped back, wiping her face. "I'll show you a mud pie!" She waved her arms and slung a ball of mud into Toph, knocking her over.

"Should we stop them?" I asked as I pulled Sokka up from the ground.

"Probably," he said.

The three of us ran to the edge of the mud pit. Toph was running towards Katara, and was about to strike when Aang interrupted gently.

"Uh, guys? I thought we were supposed to be training me."

After a slight pause, Katara drew herself up in a dignified manner. "Very well, Pupil Aang. I believe we've had enough training for today." She talked off in the opposite direction as us.

"While Katara cleans up," Toph said as she bended the mud off herself, "let's go have some fun!"

We strolled into town nonchalantly. I glanced up at the sky as messenger hawks soared into their landing nooks, the small cases on their backs filled with small messages.

"You know, I'm thinking about getting one of those," Sokka said. "Then I wouldn't have to talk to anyone, I could just send them messages."

"I gotta say, I like the idea of not talking to you." I snickered at Toph's comment. Sokka threw both her and me a dirty look.

"So guys, what should we do with our last silver piece?" Aang said from a little ways ahead of us.

Toph stopped suddenly. "We can get more money."