Chapter 2 - My First Day

Everyone was just chilling in the school courtyard. I walked up the stairs and stood near the edge of the massive group of people. For one second I panicked. Last minute jitters got to me. Can I really do this? Yes. Yes, I can. I tried to relax, and hoped I didn't look tense, awkward, out of place, or some twisted combination of the three.

I pulled out my phone and started texting my cousin. We were both only childs, so we always pretended that we were each other's sibling. I could be myself without worrying about everyone else's expectations around him. I could use some of that energy right now.

I didn't walk up to anyone. I didn't have to. Not even five minutes had passed before a pretty blonde chick walked up to me.

"Hey, I'm Hattie. You new?" She asked smiling.

I grinned back, "Sure am. I'm Taylor."

"Well, if you want I can show you around. I know how hard being the new kid can be. I moved here two years ago, but this is a really great school and I'm made so many friends..." Okay, I'm in. That was easy. Lots of friends? Likes school? Pretty, outgoing, and talkative? Yeah, I'm definitely in.

I smiled again and turned my attention back to her. "...Anyways, do you play any sports or have any hobbies?"

"Yeah, I play soccer and basketball. What about you?" I responded.

"I do dance and cheerleading. Our football teams pretty good so cheer usually has a long season. You any good at soccer and basketball?"

"I can hold my own."

"Ooh confidence is high," she reached into her bag, "Did you get your schedule yet?"

"Yeah, do they always deliver them by mail?" I asked getting mine out too.

"No, their trying something new."

Oh my gosh. I'm doing it. I'm talking to someone I don't know, and I don't sound like a rambling idiot. Just keep it up, I remind myself. Stay calm, make eye contact. Positive verbal and nonverbal clues, good posture, confident stance, be likeable. Just keep the conversation going.

She grabbed my schedule and compared it to hers. "We have first, second, fourth, sixth, and seventh hour together! So, your taking a bunch of AP's as well?"

"Yeah. Why is everyone outside?"

"No idea. Everyone does it because everyone else is doing it. All of the older kids used to do it, and now we do too. I guess it's just something we do here."

"Huh, what about in the middle of winter?"

"Oh, please. We don't even make it halfway through fall. This is just during the warmer months."

Two other girls waved at Hattie and walked over.

"Hey Hatts. Who's the new girl?" The brunette asked smiling at me.

"I'm Taylor," I said reaching out my hand.

She took it and smiled, "I'm Macey, and this is Gabby."

Gabby looked up from her phone for a second, but then immediately went back to what she was doing.

"Sorry about her. Her crush keeps texting her. They are soooooo cute together, but their both oblivious to the fact that they both like each other," Macey explained.

"I guess love is blind," I said.

"He doesn't love me. He just wants to be friends," Gabby protested.

"Naw, babe. Friends don't text for hours at eleven at night. Friends don't blush when the other person walks into the room. Friends don't go out of their way just to walk past each other in the halls. Yall ain't friends," Macey argued.