Chapter 7 - Operation In The Grass pt.1

We had decided to call it Operation in the Grass because of the popular game Snakes in the Grass.

The whole idea was that I would get to school early for "working out", and I would find a moment to slip away. Macey was also going to be there. She was pretending like she had something for one of her many clubs.

She would keep a lookout, and I would do all of the dirty work.

It was absolutely terrifying, but also exhilarating at the same time. I wasn't going to let anyone bully me ever again. Nobody was going to threaten me, or make me feel insignificant. I was finally someone. I had a reputation worth defending.

In order to pick up the snake, I had to leave really early. Like 3:00 in the morning early. There was no way my parents were going to let me just leave.

I needed an excuse.

What the heck would they believe though? Especially after last night?

Wait. What if I turned it back around on them? I could make it seem like it's their fault. My bedtime is now two hours earlier. It wouldn't be too far of a stretch to think that I would also get up about two hours earlier.

I would leave them a note, and deal with the backlash later.

My note was short and simple.

Hey mom! Couldn't sleep. Decided to leave early.

Love, Taylor

Hopefully, they wouldn't see it until like 5:30.

Two hours later, I had an almost empty tank of gas and a snake. It was harmless, but the initial surprise should be enough to get him to scream like a little girl. I just had to pull this off.

I was shaking a little as I filled up my tank, and even more when I started walking into the school building. I had a snake in my bag. Oh my gosh. I had a snake in my bag.

I had to act natural. It was a good thing I was a seasoned actor. I smiled at some people, I waved at others. Smile and wave. Smile and wave.

I was starting to recognize faces. I was recalling names. It felt good.

I would have one hour to work out before Macey could show up. Maybe a little work will distract me. Calm me down. It would also maybe give me a good alibi. I didn't need it to be a huge secret. I just needed them to not be able to prove it was me.

I walked into the weight room and hid my bag in the back corner of the locker room. I was a few minutes earlier than last time, so the bulk of people weren't here yet. I quickly snagged the nearest treadmill, and started running.

A few minutes in a familiar face started punching his own workout into the machine next to mine.

Unfortunately it was just Tyler.

"You change your mind about that date?" he asked.

"Not at all. Especially after the locker stunt you pulled."

"There's more where that came from," he winked at me.

"Is that supposed to get me to say yes? You think threatening me is the best way to go about this? Chivalry really is dead."

"It's called enemies to lovers, and it's taking the world by storm."

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure that only works for hot boys who have trama, parental issues, deep voices, chiseled jaws, and dark hair. You got any of those?"

"Uh, the hot part?"

"Nope. You're doing it all wrong."

"So what do you suggest I do?"

"Leave me alone and find someone interested."

"But I like you!"

"You don't even know me."

"I know your not like all those other girls. Your different."

"How? How am I different from every other girl? Last I checked it wasn't a bad thing to be a girl. All of the girls I've met have been pretty great. How am I different?"

"So your a feminist? I was just trying to give you a compliment."

"Not exactly a feminist, I just don't like being called different. From experience different isn't always a good thing."

"Our differences are what makes us unique."

"Okay, whatever failing film major your paying to write these lines needs to be fired. It's not cute. It's cringy."

"Hey, asking girls out is hard."

"Then you'd think you'd take the hint and stop doing it so often."

"Your going to regret this."

"You already used that line. I think you're supposed to say, 'Oh my, I've been such a jerk! I'm so sorry! I'm going to reflect and change my ways. I'm going to become a more polite person, and get a freash start.' And then ideally you would leave me alone."

"Not gonna happen."

"Well, a girl can dream."

My treadmill beeped, signaling the end of my run. I walked off and started for the weight section.

"So Tyler's your type. I'll admit I didn't really see it at first, but love really is unpredictable. Your couple name can be the blonde...blonde...nah I got nothing. I guess if you squint really hard he could be a little attractive, and he is the quarterback. Girls for some reason love the quarterback position. I think its bogus. I mean they rarely get tackled and all they do is yell and throw..."

I turned around and glared at Connor. He was smirking at me. I'm guessing he heard most of mine and Tyler's conversation.

"Shut up."

"Do you think the whole enemies to lovers thing could work for me?"

He had definitely heard.

He continued, "I mean I'm hot, I have the jawline, dark hair, and I've looked at you twice today so I'd say I'm pretty traumatized. Is the parent thing a requirement? I have a sister, and maybe she could count."

I just glared at him, and began my arm workout.

"Oof, no answer. That must be a yes."

I didn't respond.

"Those are some pretty big weights for someone with such tiny T-rex arms," he teased.

"Shut up."

"You already used that line. I think your supposed to say..." he couldn't continue he was laughing so hard.

"I thought Tyler had bad lines, ugh, and the delivery. Absolutely pathetic."

I looked at the clock on the wall, as he laughed some more. He must have really found my response funny. It was 7:00. I had 10 minutes to ditch Connor without looking suspicious.

But how do you get rid of someone like him?