Chapter 9 - Deal or No Deal

"I don't know yet," he answered, "Just next time I need a favor..."

"I'd owe you."

"Exactly. I'm guessing you got his locker number and combination from Macey?"

"How did you...?"

"I work in the office remember? I saw Charlie on the computer and snooped around while he was in the bathroom."

I just nodded. I was still in shock. This was the best chance I had to get Tyler back. The only problem was owing Connor a favor. Tyler was pesky and needed to get taken down a few notches, but I was venturing into unknown territory. I nearly knew Connor. What was I getting myself into?

He must have saw me contemplating my choices because he spoke up. "You were about to break the rules in a school you've only been in for a few days. You were sneaking around. You got his locker number and combination. You have a freaking snake in your bag. But, no, your gonna back out now."

"I never said no."

"You were thinking about it. I know that look. You're chicken. You're yellow."

"Wow, a Back to the Future reference. I'm impressed. Do I look like Marty to you?"

"Just a little. You have the wimpy 90's boy down pat."

"Thanks, that's what I was going for," I said dryly.

"I could tell. Now, class starts in few minutes. I would rather you wimp out before I start planning everything. So here's the deal. You think about it, and after practice..."

"I can't stay after agian. I forgot to text my parents time, and they didn't take it very well. I'm currently grounded."

"For getting a few more touches on the ball? Staying after practice should be a good thing."

"That's my parents for you."

"What would they think about this plan?"

"Let's just say they're on a need to know basis."

The bell rang and I started to leave.

"Just think about it. It'll be fun."

I turned back around and grinned, "See you at practice." I left before he could respond. I wanted to lean against the wall. I needed to take it all in. Unfortunately school isn't a good place to do that. Kids see weakness and they pounce. Being anything other than perfect is dangerous. The only problem is that being perfect is also frowned upon. There is literally nothing you can do. Nothing you can do but act.

Macey and Hattie were waiting for me at my locker. Hattie looked excited to see me. Macey looked like she had a thousand questions. Luckily  for me she didn't want to ask them in front of Hattie.

"So, you know how I said we're gonna have girls night on Friday? I can't make it. Can we do it today instead?" Hattie asked.

"I don't know. My parents grounded me yesterday for something stupid. I'll have to ask and see," I said.

"I'm open," Macey said.

"Good I already texted Gabby, and she's free."

I quickly shot my mom a text.

Mom?

Yeah?

Wow that was a quick response.

Some of my friends are having a girls night tonight. It was supposed to be Friday but Hattie had something come up.

It's just girls

That's what girls night means so yes

Hey you might want to be a little more respectful. I did give birth to you ya know.

Mom please?

Alright, but I'm gonna need some more information.

K, I'll update you when I get the time and place

T?

Yes, mom?

They're good kids?

Yes

K, I trust you.

Love ya, mom. Gotta get to class thanks!

Love u 2

"Looks like I can go," I said looking up from my phone.

"Great," Hattie said.

"What time does it start?" I asked.

"It usually starts at seven, but we bumped it up to six because we have school tomorrow," Hattie responded.

"Whose house?" Macey asked.

"Gabby's," Hattie said, "She should be here soon."

We waited a few more minutes, but there was no sign of Gabby. Finally we couldn't wait anymore and we decided to start to walk to our classes. Me and Hattie went in one direction, and Macey went in the other. We turned the corner and stopped dead in our tracks.

There are few rules that are considered unspoken girl code. They're not complicated. It's just being a good person, or at least what society thinks being a good person is. It's things like telling a girl if she's got something in her teeth, or if they have wardrobe malfunction. If a girl needs a tampon and you have one, you help a girl out. If a girl acts like you're friends at a party, then you pretend you're friends. It isn't super complicated.

Well...

Most of the time.

There is one rule that commonly gets bypassed. Sometimes it isn't a big deal. Sometimes it ends friendships. The rule is vague and depends on a few variables. It's confusing, and the best idea is to clear it up with your friend beforehand, or stay away from any situation resembling it.

That's right. I'm talking about ex's. Any type counts: ex-friends, ex-family members, but especially ex-boyfriends. Especially ex-boyfriends the other friend isn't over yet.

That's why we were so surprised when we rounded the corner.

When we rounded the corner and walked right into two people making out.

One was Gabby, and the other was Tyler.