Chapter 14 - This Little Light

The rest of the school day went by slowly. At every mention of the snake incident I could feel my face heating up. All I could do was hope nobody noticed, but it was hard to act normal when everybody was talking about it. I just wanted to go home and enjoy the weekend. Unfortunately I had practice after school.

I could feel Connor's eyes on me the moment I swung my bag off of my shoulder and started to lace up my cleats. But when I looked up he was  working on his left footed shot, and facing the other direction. It's just the guilt. I'm just jittery from last night.

I was so tired from the lack of sleep that I almost didn't make it through warm ups. I was stifling yawns and forcing my heavy eyelids to stay open the entire time.

When we got in line for agility drills (I just conditioning) Connor ended up behind me.

"You seem a little tired today. You sleep well last night?" He asked innocently.

I just glared at him. He knew very well I hadn't slept well last night. In fact he knew where I was and why I was up.

"Too sleepy to talk?"

"Too annoyed to talk."

"I'm a little hurt. I'm just checking up on my players. We have a game in two weeks."

"Your players?"

"You haven't heard? Coach gave out the bands this morning. I'm captain."

I just started the drill. Sprint, cut, sprint, cut, sprint, etc. By the end of the drill I was panting. Only two more runs to go I told myself.

"Well come on! You gotta get in shape!  We have a game in two weeks!" He cheerily taunted skipping ahead of me. "And you said you play midfeild!"

I just stuck out my tounge and got back in line. I hate conditioning.

I was relieved and exhausted when coach finally called an end to practice.  I went straight to my water and started chugging. Hearing the ding of my phone, I picked it up and looked at the message.

Did you hear about the snake in Tyler's locker?😯

It was from Connor. I looked over at him and raised my eyebrows. He just started typing again. A few minutes later I heard another ping.

I wonder how they did it! Can you believe it? You have no idea the conspiracy theories I've heard...

Really? I didn't even know that it happened? It's not like the whole school is gossiping about it, or like I had anything to do with it. I wonder what kind of troublemakers would dare do such a thing.

I know right? I don't feel safe in the school anymore.

We could be next.

It may have just been a gardener snake this time, but I heard that on Monday there's going to be a King Cobra.

I heard there was going to be five.

At this point I don't even think it's a student.

None of the teachers seem vicious enough.

I think it was the snake. Like calls to like. He was just trying to meet his cousin.

I laughed out loud at that. Looking over I saw him innocently raise his eyebrows. Everyone else had either left or was talking in small groups.

"What's so funny?" He asked.

I frowned at him fighting to keep the grin off my face as I walked off. Trying to be serious wasn't my strong suit, so I broke before I had taken five steps.

. . .

I fell asleep as soon as I got home. I was lucky I didn't crash on the way home. We were having a late dinner tonight because my dad was coming home, so I had a few hours of rest before the meal.

After giving my dad a hug I sat down.

"How's school going?" He asked, bringing a forkful of food to his mouth.

"Good. You hear about the soccer team?" I responded.

"Yeah, heard your stuck with a bunch of boys. How is it?"

"There's like three girls, and that's counting me."

"The team any good? You think you're gonna start?"

"I don't know. We seem okay. I'm not the star player, but I think I'll be able to hold my own. I'll probably start, but not play the whole half like last year."

"Any cute boys?" I was waiting for this question. I knew it was going to happen.

"Nope," I laughed.

"Any cute girls?"

"Nope," I laughed harder.

"Well I have to ask. It's okay if you want to be single though. I saw a really quaint nunnery on the way here."

"I'll pass."

"You could get married to god," he said mimicking my old Youth Group teacher. "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine. This little..."

"Dad."

"Even when I'm afraid, I'm gonna let it shine."

"Dad."

"LET IT SHINE. LET IT SHINE LET IT SHINE," he finished.

I chucked a green bean at him. We all burst out laughing when it hit his forehead with a plop.

"I remember when you were eight, and you sang that at your school talent show. You were so off key."

I forced myself to laugh. My smile all of a sudden seemed like a burden. My dad wasn't the only person who thought my singing wasn't amazing.

Stacy's performance came right after mine, and her grandparents happened to tape my act as well as hers. She somehow got her hands on the video, cropped it, and sent it around school. I was made fun of for years. I still hate singing around other people because of it.

Luckily I had already cleared my plate, so I only had the dishes left. As I  was washing them, I zoned out. My parents turned the conversation back to their work, so I was free to let my mind wander. I was in way over my head at school. I had to help Hattie find the person who put the snake in Tyler's locker without her knowing it was me. I had to juggle having friends and all of the drama with Tyler and Gabby. And I also owed Connor a favor. Whatever that entails.