Chapter Thirty Two

Declan~

After finishing up some target practice at the Knight Security shooting range, Bravo team checked their weapons into the armory and headed toward one of the large conference rooms.

Declan had always admired the top notch facilities at Knight and considered himself lucky to work for a handler like Hunter who made sure all five teams he managed wanted for nothing. The main offices were connected to a large gym, garage, gun range and included an internal armory with top of the line weapons and equipment.

His team had just settled into their seats around the conference table to go over the specs for a job they were set to work in a few weeks when Declan's phone buzzed with a text from Kincaid.

"Brought Lex up to use the gym."

He locked the screen after reading the message and grinned slightly at the mention of Lexi's name. 

The past three weeks had been heavenly with Lexi fitting seamlessly into his routine. On the days he had to go into work a member of Delta team would stay with her, usually Kincaid or Logan and they were happy to do so. On the days he didn't have to work that little hellcat rarely wanted to leave the bedroom, which he didn't hate in the least.

Last week Lexi felt good enough to hit the gym, so Kincaid had been bringing her up to Knight to use the indoor facility. Not only was Declan glad she was feeling better, but he also got a chance to see her in the middle of the day which was an additional win for him.

After about thirty minutes of shop talk, Hunter appeared in the doorway and leaned against the frame casually.

Giving him a chin lift as acknowledgement Declan lifted his eyes from the files on the table to Hunter who seemed amused by something.

"Saw your girl downstairs."

"Yeah, she's been feeling better and wanting to get back into her workout routine."

His eyes fell back to the papers in front of him, not interested in small talk at the moment.

"Good, I'm glad she's feeling better, but you're really cool with her sparring with Kincaid?"

"Sparring?" The shock and irritation in Declan's voice was no surprise to Hunter as he gave Declan a knowing smile and motioned over his shoulder with his thumb.

"You can't be serious," he growled as he pushed himself away from the table and headed toward Hunter.

"Hey don't shoot the messenger," Hunter said as Declan brushed past him and headed down the stairs with long strides and heavy steps.

"Go easy on him, Boss," Marcus yelled from his seat at the table with a deep chuckle trailing his comment.

The doors of the gym clanged loudly against the walls as Declan exploded through them. Sure enough, there they were standing in the ring. 

What the hell is he thinking? He outweighs her by a hundred pounds.

"Kincaid!" The thunderous boom of Declan's voice echoed off of the metal walls as he stormed toward them.

Before he fully approached the ring Lexi had already intervened on Kincaid's behalf, stepping between them and planting her small hands on his broad shoulders once he had reached the ropes.

The raised platform gave her just enough height to give her an inch or two advantage over him which he was not used to and didn't care for if he was being honest.

"It was my idea, Dec. Kincaid's been showing me some self defense moves."

Declan's brows were drawn together with his jaw set tight as he eyed the two of them in the ring.