xviii. project lovesick

One thing was for certain.

Yoongi had never seen Taehyung this crestfallen before, not once in all his years of knowing him.

His hair was back to its regular shade of brown, this eyes once more its original color. But, there was a heavy sadness that lingered in Taehyung's eyes as he walked into their apartment hours later.

Eyes red-rimmed and puffy, dejected expression lying comfortably on his face, Taehyung looked like a hot mess. He couldn't even bother to offer Yoongi and Jungkook a smile as he sat next to them, a soft, shaky sigh escaping his lips.

"Has Mingi told you anything?" Taehyung asked, not looking up. Yoongi frowned, leaning forward to look at him, only causing Taehyung to move his face further away.

"He's been silent," Yoongi answered, continuing to look at Taehyung. "I'll be taking his silence as his way of finding more information on us. He won't be able to find anything, though."

"You were still reckless with that one," Jungkook pointed out. "You're lucky that you have a way with words."

Yoongi smiled. "I only needed my wits for that one. I knew that when that investigator had asked for bouquets that he'd found out something he shouldn't have. I just wasn't aware he'd found out far more than just who I actually am. You're on the same boat, too, Jungkook. He doesn't know who you are, at least not yet."

"In any case, one's been disposed of," Jungkook grinned, only fading slightly at Taehyung's sullen expression. "The news has yet to announce his death. I think they're waiting on the rest of us. At least Taehyung got the money, right? That and his congratulations."

"I wouldn't say it was worth it," Taehyung muttered, finally looking at them. "I've taken a liking to other targets before, but it's never hurt this much."

Yoongi and Jungkook only stared at him, their expressions surprised, Yoongi the most surprised out of the two.

Sure, Yoongi knew that sometimes Taehyung would grow attached to his targets, but he seldom batted an eye when it came to killing them. While Yoongi had never had a problem with that, he knew that it was an authentic feeling that would stir. It was inevitable sometimes— especially when the point was to woo them to be vulnerable enough to express themselves romantically. Had Kim Seokjin been someone that had displayed what Taehyung sought in a significant other? Quite possibly.

"It's been bugging me a lot," Taehyung sighed again, voice shaky. "I should feel great that I managed to break his heart; hell, I carried out my assignment far faster than Yoongi, but I feel like shit. I don't know if I'll be able to take an assignment anytime soon."

"Seokjin got you that bad?" Yoongi questioned, tone surprised. Taehyung looked up at Yoongi, visibly irritated.

"What does it look like, Yoongi?" he responded brusquely. "You think my face is fucking like this because I wanted to have a good cry? I cried for hours after I killed him, and it's still hurting like hell. It makes you wonder if our line of work is even fucking worth it."

"If you hadn't killed him, you would have died in his place," Jungkook spoke quietly, shooting Taehyung a look of pity. You know that's what happens to Elite members if they fail. These people are people of power, influence, and money. If Seokjin were to have figured out you were lying to him, and he hadn't fallen for you, you and the person requesting you to kill him would be in danger."

"Our clients stake their lives on us," Yoongi continued, putting a hand on Taehyung's shoulder. "Their reputation, as well as our organization, become at risk. It's easier to make us completely disappear than to risk Project Heartbreak's secrecy. If you think about it, I currently have a target on my back. Through me, Project Heartbreak could be exposed."