08

Instinct Chapter 08The Devil You Know

Instinct
Chapter 08
The Devil You Know

Cora, Elle and Stiles sat in Derek's loft as the current storm that was brewing was getting worse as Elle began to tell a story from the hales past of what they wolves are taught to do when they are hunted.

"They were there for two days in that underground basement thing just waiting, Hiding. That's what we're taught to do when the Hunters find us-- hide and heal." She recalled watching the rain run down the window.

"Okay, so, is two days standard, then, or are we thinking Derek's on, like, some extended getaway?" Stiles impatiently asked as he stood in the hale loft waiting to speak to derek. Neither Elle, Cora nor anybody else has seen Derek since the The night of Boyds death.

"Why do you care?" Cora shot back at her cousin Boyd defensively, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Why do I care???" Stiles asked appalled causing the blonde to roll her eyes.

"Let's see... Because, over the last few weeks: someone tried to kill my girlfriend; my best friend's tried to kill himself; his boss nearly got ritually sacrificed; a girl that I've known since I was three was ritually sacrificed; Boyd was killed by Alphas... I... Do you want me to keep going? 'Cause I can, all right? For, like, an hour." Stiles reeled off both hale girls tilted their heads at the teenage boy who was now vibrating.

"You think Derek can do anything about that?" Elle asked slightly on why her boyfriend was looking for derek, in case he hadn't been paying attention derek has a tendency not to win fights.

"Well, since he's the one everyone seems to be after, it's more like he should do something about it, yeah." He responded to his girlfriend as if it was some sort of principle.

"I don't know... There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when I knew him." Cora confirmed not quite sure what it is that changed him but he wasn't the same brother she lost all those years ago.

"What was he like?" Stiles asked darting his eyes from Elle to Cora but it wasn't either of the girls voiced who answered to their surprise guess who was lurking on the stairs.

"A lot like Scott, actually." Peter finally made him self known to the teenagers. Descending from the staircase in a dramatic entrance in a very Peter like manner.

"A lot like most teenagers-- unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic, tolerable really only to other teenagers..." looking between the three teenagers that stood in front of him making them all roll their eyes a sociopath ex alpha before them.

"And so what happened? What changed him?" Stiles wondered as well as Elle and Cora.

"Well, the same thing that changes a lot of young men...Love." Peter was looking straight at Elle and Stiles he never quite understood why someone as powerful as Elle could love someone as weak as stiles.