Chapter three

Dean got DJ and Connie out the door with Ben straggling behind a bit before heading up to check on Jon. He was almost two and was already hitting the terrible part. Connie was at her wits end with him. She was all her mother, sass and attitude all around. It made Dean miss her more.
"Come on buddy. It's time for breakfast." I pulled him out of his crib and got him ready for the day. Most days I was taking it minute to minute. It was all so hard to handle even a year later.
"Dean, I'm heading to work. I'll pick the kids up after school and pick up some dinner on the way home." I heard Lisa yell from the other room.
"Alright. Be safe okay?"
"Always am. Bye."

I sit in a kitchen I don't recognize and try to center myself. What did Dean mean about being lost? About nightmares about a life that wasn't our?
"Here. Have some eggs." He shoved the plate in front of me. I took the fork next to my plate and looked to see about 2 scrambled eggs, two sausage links, and a English muffin. The Dean I knew barely knew to cook this good. He usually just ate what Lisa and me make.
"This looks really good. Thank you?" He hummed lightly as he started cleaning the dishes. I started eating some and took two bites before realizing I wasn't really hungry.
"Dean what did you mean when you said I get lost after nightmares? And where...where are the kids?" He stopped scrubbing and I watched as his shoulders suddenly tensed. He didn't turn to face me as he made a few deep breaths.
"Not the kids again. Luce you know how that upsets me." He said through gritted teeth. He turned then, walking over to sit in front of me.
"Lucy, this started about four years ago. You wake up shaking from nightmares, drenched in sweat. Sometimes you'd be screaming, especially when the dreams were about...about DJ. Those upset me the most."
"About DJ? What about DJ? Where are our kids, Dean?" I was starting to get scared. "They're here somewhere aren't they?" His face grew darker and graver as I kept talking.
"This is why it upsets me. I have to watch your pain every damn time." Pain? What is going on? "Luce, Dean died over a year ago when his appendix burst."

I was taking the laundry off the line as our dryer took a shit yesterday when I happened to notice movement in the garage. I rolled the sheet I had in my hands and placed it in the laundry basket at my feet as I went to investigate. Everyone was gone and no one should be in there.
I got to the half open door and slowly pushed it so it made little noise. I didn't need whoever this was to run before I could see. Bobby was the only person who knew where Lisa and I moved the kids to a new house. I just wanted to keep the family safe.
I heard a small noise and turned to see the impala safe in her spot where she rarely gets moved from but on the other side I saw a tall figure looking at things stacked on the shelf. I lunged. I ran and tackled him bad I heard him grunt and swear as he hit the ground hard. I clearly knocked the air out of him and grabbed his jacket and lifted him off the floor before slamming his back into the cold hard concrete. That was when I froze.
"Sam?"