Chapter twelve

Lucy wasn't conscious. That was the first thing Dean noticed. He couldn't even tell if she was breathing. He was too shocked to walk over and check. Not while Death still had her in his arms. Dean didn't dare rush the very being that could take Lucy away from him forever.
"I do...I don't understand. I failed the test." Dean stuttered quietly. He didn't want to alert the entire household to something that may not even be a good thing. He wanted to take Lucy from Death and place her on the bed but Death was already doing that for him. He was still stuck where he was standing.
"Would you do things differently? Would you go back and kill the little girl." Death asked as he gently placed Lucy's head on her pillow. Dean nodded.
"Knowing what I know now, yes I would." Was all he said. Death had a small smile and nodded once.
"You learned something." Dean just now noticed the bag Death was carrying along with his wife. "Don't scratch at the wall. I do not know if she'll ever wake up, Dean. I can not guarantee that. All I can is that the wall will hold as long as she doesn't scratch at it if she does wake up." Dean nodded in understanding, praying to whoever is left to listen that this worked.
"I still don't fully understand. Why?" Death sat up straight and looked back at Dean.
"Because she doesn't deserve to pay for your mistakes." With that he was gone. Dean couldn't breathe anymore as he watched his wife's chest rise and fall. Her eyes closed as if she were sleeping. How long would this take?

Dean realized that he needed to tell Lisa at the very least that Lucy was back. He didn't want the boys to know yet, especially not DJ. Not when he hasn't talked to him about any of this. He knew he needed to calmly go to Lisa and it took great restraint to do so. He looked in the kitchen to see if she was in there but she wasn't so he ran to her room and knocked on the door.
"Dean, its late. What is it?" He hadn't realized the time but now that he was looking at Lisa, he thought this probably could have waited until morning.
"She back. He brought Lucy back."

Lisa and Dean ran back to his room and for a moment he thought he dreamt it all. That maybe this didn't actually happen and she wasn't going to be laying in their bed. Once they got to the room and saw that he wasn't in fact dreaming, he rushed over to her side and took her hand. It felt cold in his but he knew by just looking at her chest that she was alive.
"Did he say when she was going to wake up?" Lisa asked, still standing at the foot of the bed. Dean shook his head.
"He said he couldn't guarantee it but it could still happen." Lisa nodded, knowing the risk before Dean went into this.
"I thought you said you failed. That he wasn't going to do this."
"He said that she didn't deserve to pay for my mistakes and he was right, she doesn't. So he brought her back." Lisa nodded as he explained. She couldn't help the tears that started falling. This was her best friend and she hasn't seen her in over a year, she couldn't be happier to see Lucy out of hell.
"We have to talk to DJ." Dean stated quietly. Lisa nodded and wiped her face of her tears. Dean was right.
"I'll go get him." She turned to go and Dean shot up quickly.
"Take him to the living room. I don't want him to see her yet. Not until he understands." She nodded again as she left to get the teenager from his bed. Dean didn't know what he was thinking, this couldn't wait until morning.

Once Dean was ready, he walked out to the hall to go see his son about Lucy. He had no idea how he was even going to start explaining this.
"Sorry Deej. I know it is late but this is important." Dean said as he sat down next to his son. Lisa was still struggling to collect herself and DJ could tell something was up.
"What is going on? What did I do?" DJ asked as he looked between the only two adults left in his life.
"No Deej. You didn't do anything. It's just...God I don't know how to even start." DJ looked up at his dad and feared that he was losing someone else he loved.
"Did something happen to Connie or Jon?" DJ straightened his back as the fear spread through his entire body. Lisa placed her hands on his arms, trying to calm him down. Dean shook his head and tried his best to smile.
"No, DJ everyone is fine. It's just...I was able to cut a deal. Not the kind I've done before but one that I already paid for. It was to get your mom back."