chapter 3 ; midnight in blue

The pattern in which his chest moved, how his hair flowed in the air for each gush of wind, his glittering green eyes springing about — it was impossible to rid himself of the blond.

Too lost in thought to even consider the possibility of leaving, Joseph had stuck to the bench for what seemed like hours. All his thoughts were consumed by the angel that left nothing more than a blessing. More than anything, he dazzled brightly into the eyes of Joseph, leaving a bittersweet taste of desire on his lips.

The tone of his skin all the way to his strangely colored birthmarks, a glamorous charmer to which Joseph crimsoned. He held thoughts of regret for not speaking to him.

Joseph let out a breath of crisp air, clutching his bare arms with frigid movements as he wished for his jacket around him. He didn't suspect the night to be so windy, really, although thinking about it — many signs should've at least given him a hint. It made him consider going back.

Tapping his fingers softly, Joseph listened to the late-night radio, the tranquil background music, and the familiar voice that remained comforting enough to get off the bench.

He picked himself up and leaned on the railings, knowing full well that when he looks down, he'll be greeted with the sight of a desolate shore. But even when it was dark, Joseph continued to love the beach. Even when there was no one to look up and smile at him, he still chose the beach alongside the sound of the ocean.

"Thank you very much, Giorno," Bucciarati said soothingly.

Narancia's high-pitched voice tuned in quickly. "Oi, Giorno, can you teach us that weird trick you do with your ear?"

"Hm, perhaps," Giorno muttered, just barely loud enough for Joseph to hear.

It was reasonably the most unfortunate part of sitting on the benches — never being able to properly hear what was said on the radio. It always stayed in the same place below Joseph's bench, hardly in his range of hearing. He was just grateful that the man in the shack played the radio so loud.

"Nevermind that, Fugo's gonna finish all the cake if you don't take any now." Abbachio's deep voice resounded on the radio.

"Huh?" Fugo's yell sounded muffled with food, something that slightly shifted Joseph's mood higher.

"He's right, look! There are only 4 slices left!" Narancia pointed out.

"Eek!"

Joseph hummed a little, forever grateful for Golden Wind Radio, somehow upping his worst moods into something a little bit more bearable. 

Yet even when he distracted himself with everything he could, his mind still wandered to the blond. Again and again, his mind wouldn't let him go. Thoughts flocked to him like wild animals, invading his mind with scenarios of what could've been.

Like the beautiful plucks of a harp, his voice reminded him of heaven and pure white clouds. A place where angels and saints would gather the same to enlightened spirits.

Alike strands of the sun, his hair gleamed, remembering Joseph of vacation days and vivid memories. And similar to a model, his face shamed those passing by. Flaunting his voluptuous lips and refined jaw. With his gleaming eyes and delicate eyebrows, he seemed unmatched.

Running his hands up and down his arms, Joseph cursed himself once more for not bringing a jacket. Joseph realized, that the feeling of cold wind brushing against his face certainly isn't a good feeling like the actresses on TV had alleged it to be, especially without a jacket.

"Ah, would you look at the time, it's 1 AM already!" Bucciarati stated with a hint of disappointment.

Joseph hadn't noticed it until then, he looked up, realizing the sky was pitch black and that not even one car had passed in over two hours. 

"That fast?" Fugo muttered questioningly. "I didn't even notice it was night." Joseph couldn't agree more.

"This is the late-night section of the radio, how did you not notice?" Abbachio inquired. "Aren't you supposed to have graduated from university before all of us?"

"Well, well, let's not argue about it." Bruno chuckled awkwardly.

Even without a screen, it wasn't hard to tell that Giorno was smiling. "I guess this is a good time to say goodbye then?" Not to Joseph's accord, no.

But before he had time to mourn, the group had already said their goodbyes, and the radio finally shut off with a satisfying yet unpleasant 'click'.

Joseph dipped his head low, gazing at the sand all the way down at the beach. He hadn't bothered warming up his hands, all he tried to do was focus on what he was going to do for the night.

Footsteps were heard before Joseph had the chance to look up.

"You're still here?"

And just like that, Joseph wasn't cold anymore.