chapter 8 ; it's a place filled with life

The pond wasn't the beach but, then again, that wasn't too surprising.

Because it didn't have a large amount of water, the pesky yet pleasant sand, nor the salt-scented sky. It was safe to say that the pond wasn't as pleasing as the ocean.

Yet it was better than going to the ocean on that day, overhearing the notice of a party that would happen at that beach, Joseph quickly relocated. Sure, it was bothersome, but still far better than seeing the stainless tide tainted with a crowd of drunken teenagers.

With no radio or cassette player, he was abandoned apart with nothing but his thoughts. Alone in plain day, he couldn't even listen to the sound of the water flowing, as ponds tend to be very much still.

There weren't even any ducks. Joseph dipped his head in disappointment. At least they had a bench.

Listening to the parents follow their scampering children, Joseph threw his head back in annoyance, releasing a bored sigh along with it. It was uncommon for the beach not to have the sound of playing, but after that day on the lighthouse — Joseph had grown fond of becoming more tranquil.

"There's a café a couple of minutes from here, do you wanna go there?" A woman's voice asked.

"I've never been, is it any good?" A deep voice questioned in response.

"Of course, otherwise I wouldn't have said anything." The girl reasoned bitterly. Joseph scoffed.

Turning back to the pond, he silently groaned, seeing his mini-ocean being overcast by the gathering clouds. Boredom seeping through skin, Joseph tries to ignore the faint footsteps walking away.

But that doesn't last very long. Tilting his side-to-side with an unreadable expression, he stood up and followed the couple to the unnamed café.

His eyes remained on the ground, ignoring every bird chirp or loud giggle he heard. While leaving the park, the idea of coming back never entered his mind, his thoughts — clouded by the fact he's never been to a café — didn't care for the pond not even one bit.

With each minute passing by, Joseph felt his body finally overcome with stress. It had already been a bother walking to a park 1 hour away from his hotel, it was only logical that his legs could barely handle another 5 minutes. Or maybe he was just out of shape. After all, his most hated phrase was 'hard work' with his second being 'work hard'.

The couple eventually leaving his sight, Joseph glanced at the small shop in front of him. Isolated and miniature, he grimaced at the unappealing design displayed on the banner. With no other option, he walked inside.

Ding...

The delicate sound of a high-pitched chime surrounds the cafe — a new customer. The bustle of various people buying satisfaction can be heard.

Laughs, loud voices in banter, a sweet couple whispering; the café is a place of life, something Joseph notices quickly. A frequent place to host people with varying yearning.

His eyes were immediately drawn to the cozy spot in the corner of the room. A table with a mini dent and only one chair, practically calling out for him. He claimed the spot before anyone else could. In less than seconds, a beautiful waitress came up to his table, a small notepad ready in her hands.

As he talked to the waitress, he was forced to notice her glaring traits. With pretty blond hair and reflecting blue eyes, Joseph was drawn. The air around her seemed to move in her favor, small waves of wind brushing the hair out of her face for Joseph to admire.

When she turned around, leaving Joseph in confusion, he had instantly called out to her without thought.

"What's your name?"

The lady smiled in response. "Suzie Q."

She giggled, and Joseph suddenly understood the allure of the café. He had realized that it wasn't the drinks or the looks that attracted customers, it was the warmth that it was quick to share.

He huffed a breath, feeling a strange tug on his face that was quickly ignored.

The minutes at the café would soon turn into hours, the sun that so rightfully shined lowered down, casting a dark blue into the shop.

The scene in front of him changes. The people slowly disappear and the world is just him and his cold corner. It left him to wonder, Joseph Joestar, of Caesar. Or, as he had liked to now call him, the bubble-scented angel.

Though Joseph wasn't a man of fate, he knew that it was luck that brought them together that day. Whether out of pity or out for fun, he couldn't have been more grateful.

It was only then Joseph realized he was smiling. Smiling as if he hadn't smiled in years and the purest look of joy spread across his face.

'Caesar Zepelli.' Joseph thought.'You who shines solely by existing, can I stay by your side?'