chapter 7 ; a thousand tears by the sea

Arms by his side with his feet set on the brim of the shore, Joseph shudders, the freezing cold tide washing over his feet slowly as he grasps onto his exposed arms. He doesn't mind the cold, nor the drizzling rain coating his skin; not even the foggy blue sky. More than anything, he felt depressed.

Giggling and cheering about, the background is muffled with children playing, while the view on Joseph's left is filled with the sight of the small fishing boats only gaining more distance away. He warmed himself up one more time before continuing his walk.

Through the sun and stars, Joseph would take any time on the beach. Even with scorching heat and numbing snow, Joseph would still proceed to love his time on the beach equally.

Save for the moment where the sun wasn't visible — where the skies were a grayish-blue and the townspeople were still resting in their rooms.

Listening to the faint chatter of Golden Wind Radio along with the crows cawing, disturbing the people passing by, he simply continued to walk along with the tide nonchalantly. Because to him, it was normal.

Like how he was left alone to his gloom while on the brink of certainty and fabrication, just like a standard day.

He had abandoned his boots near the benches, sure that no one would even think about snatching such ragged shoes for the size of a teenager.

And for a reason not even Joseph could point to, he had left his jacket home knowing what the weather kept in store for him. Even with him shivering as he paced forward, he kept his ground, letting his shoulders relic in the rain while his feet washed in the salty water.

Watching the small cloud of breath leave his mouth as he exhaled, Joseph quivered in the wind. Rubbing his arms rigidly, he felt them growing sore from his rapid movements. As if a dying body, Joseph felt himself grow weaker and weaker.

Tiny drops of rain gently splashed on his hair as he kept walking, and the blue ocean only looked bluer during this time of day, Joseph was quick to notice. It looked nothing like the view from the lighthouse — where the ocean reflected a bright orange that shined too brightly for the likes of Joseph to see.

Joseph could only hear a few running voices today. Most likely because it was too early for most kids to go out, still sleeping and restoring their energy for the day to come.

While he looked at the sand on his feet, he wondered if the ocean knew about his dilemma. If, possibly, it could hear his thumping heart from across the beach every time the blond grew near. Perhaps then it would know why Joseph felt what he felt.

That day on the lighthouse, Joseph couldn't neglect. The view was something on its own but seeing Caesar so content made Joseph feel some sort of enigmatic way. And that only made him worry. During that time, Joseph held thoughts he had never even imagined before.

If their hands intertwined, would Caesar feel as warm as him? With his heart beating in his chest, glancing at him wearily, would he feel that same difficult emotion?

If they sat closer, would Joseph be able to breathe? With their bodies barely touching, their breaths barely audible, would he be relieved with the answer?

If Caesar looked at Joseph in the eye at that time, what would've happened to him?

With Caesar's eyes so bright, would Joseph be too hypnotized and admit the feelings he was too confused to understand? Or would they be too dazzling? Shining so bright that Joseph would cower away and hold onto his miniature hands to calm his little fluttering heart.

And during the weeks that passed by, Joseph kept his head high, looking forward to the next time they would meet. Even if it wasn't today, he was sure that fate was going to link them together once more.

For now, though, he was comfortable with walking on the beach too early in the morning, feeling like his body would shatter to ice.

But, he still truly questioned if the ocean was watching him, and he queried why the ocean hadn't already comforted him like it usually would do.

"It got in the water!" A young voice yelled, his voice laced with disappointment and anger.

"Ah! Get it before it drifts away!" Another one ordered hastily.

Though they were small in numbers, mayhem still filled the beach and Joseph felt his mood shift lightly.

Although Caesar shined too golden for Joseph to see with his eyes, perhaps it wouldn't be so wrong to stay by his side for just a little while longer. And maybe then he would figure out what the cause was for his quickly beating heart to beat so quick.

Because even when Joseph pondered from jealousy to hatred, he could never come up with a reasonable answer. The cunning, quick on his feet Joseph Joestar was at a complete loss.

The sounds of the waves crashing against the rocks loudly brought him back to reality. He turned to his left, directly at the tide. There were no more fishermen, boats, or people. It remained empty and wide.

"Guess I should start heading back."