chapter 11 ; the jazz will put me to sleep

Tucking his chin into the crook of his elbow, Joseph felt his eyes begin to droop. In the hours that had gone by, the calming sounds of plates clattering and the light jazz playing from the speakers had begun to put Joseph to sleep.

In his right hand, he held a mug of coffee — one that he held for too long, eventually losing its warmth. In front of him, an empty red seat reserved for another.

Without the sun peering through the windows, the diner felt crestfallen.

Though there may be the clacking of knives, the soft vibration of chatter, and the many waitresses at the diner, it still felt empty. Perhaps he preferred it empty, entirely not used to being around so many people for too long.

As Joseph let out a yawn, the staff behind the register glanced at him. Often looking at him in pity, they frequently walked up to him in hopes that he would order something to eat.

And each time, they'd get sent back with a sole promise; "In a bit...I'm waiting for someone." So the staff would leave him alone, looking at him every now and then.

Joseph wasn't a stranger to pity. He frequently got it at the beach, feel it coming from behind his back, realizes it through worried glances and tiny gifts along with sympathetic smiles. Pity wasn't a thing that was favored, but after understanding it would be the only sort of affection he'd get, Joseph was quick to welcome it.

Which had led him to the conclusion — he held no particular feelings for Ceasar, he merely was surprised at the fact that he wasn't looking at him in pity. Though he still planned on facing those feelings, persistent in staying in that diner until the time came. He at least wanted to indulge in them before Caesar could leave.

His head shot up when he heard the door ring.

"Thanks for coming." A staff waves at the leaving couple, with them waving back.

He sighed, noticing the worried glances from the staff whose attention was caught by the sudden shift. Sipping his bitter coffee, Joseph watches as the car pass by, realizing suddenly that time has flown by.

"And 1 AM hits already," Abbachio mutters under his breath.

"Huh, already?" Questions Narancia.

"Time really does go fast, doesn't it?" Fugo sighs and audibly groans.

"What, did you not realize it was night again?" Abbachio is quick to taunt.

Joseph wants to smile, he really does, but something suddenly stirs up in him and he can't. When he listens to Golden Wind Radio, he can feel his mood always shift but even when he tries, what comes out isn't a smile. Joseph believes it's more of an amalgamation of expressions than a smile.

But he doesn't blame it on the radio, no, he could never blame it on them. More than anything, he blamed it on himself. Because he couldn't even bring himself to get out of bed for weeks, eat anything but pot noodles, or even go to the beach. In fact, he had even promised himself he would never return there. Being the bearer of bad news, Joseph felt as if it was cursed. It first brought him along, a loitering teen with no home to go, then an angel that would scatter his life into pieces.

For a moment, all he can see is black and his eyes are wide open again, blinking rapidly at the sudden brightness.

His body was too tired to hold his eyelids, nearly every second dropping for rest until he completely gave in. He concluded that if he fell asleep, then the staff would wake him up, simple as that.

Minutes would pass by and nothing was heard. Joseph opened his eyes to look at the calendar on the wall. He hadn't gotten the dates wrong, that was for sure. Any second now, he was sure to see a dazzling blond walk through that door.

He didn't mind that he was left waiting for hours, that was just the way things were. Even if he didn't remember himself ever being so forgiving to anyone, he believed it was just something that was kept dormant. Yes, he was sure of it now.

At last, the bell at the door rang and he saw a flash of gold from the reflection. He didn't mind the minor strain of whiplash as he twisted his neck.

"Suzie!" The happiness left as soon as it came and his eyes drooped for what would be the final time that night.

Seeing as the last couple in the restaurant had left, Joseph was now left alone with no one but the staff.

Tucking his head into his elbow for the second time that night, finally letting his eyes rest completely, Joseph ultimately decided to let himself succumb to rest, although he knew in a few minutes the staff would ask him to leave.

The minute his light snores started to echo throughout the diner, the staff stared at him dejectedly. Though they had the right to kick him out, seeing his paranoid face contort into one of a peaceful expression — no one had the heart to wake him up.

So the diner, just this once, decided to let him rest for a couple of hours.