Chapter 8

I escaped to my room and dug through my bag, looking for a replacement for my soda-stained shirt. The selection was limited, given my hasty packing and disdain for laundry. I pulled out a red summer dress with white polka-dots and pulled it on, leaving my shorts on the floor like a child, and headed back downstairs.

When I got to the kitchen, Tim was there, hovering over a cooling rack of shortbread.

"Hey," I climbed up on a stool to join him in watching the precious delicacy cool.

"Nice list," Tim murmured. "I have to admit, I was frequently surprised, but when you put them all together, they all make up you."

"Did you compile some songs?"

"Of course, I'll let you know my numbers when they're all loaded," he promised.

"Did Billy make a list?"

"He has the whole second half of the machine," Tim's words came out as almost a complaint. "I was surprised that you didn't pick any of his songs. I mean, there are so many about..." Tim's thoughts dropped off as he looked at me.

"I haven't listened to his stuff," I confirmed. "Well, I heard the first two albums. I listened to them with my dad, and I've heard passing snippets on the radio and concerts, but I've never really listened to them."

Tim's face flushed with evident surprise.

"I know, I know; there are so many great songs. It's just our thing. I know Billy for Billy." I shrugged.

"But so many are about..." Tim mumbled.

"I think it's sweet," Mary smiled as she pushed the cooling rack closer. "Leave some for Billy," she added as she turned away.

As if on cue, the front door slammed, accented by a loud, "Ma." Followed by Billy distractedly wandering into the kitchen. He was wearing greasy coveralls unzipped to the waist showing his white t-shirt. My eyes clung to him like the shirt stretched taut across his broad chest. His hair obscured his face as his neck bent while he inspected the thumb he was picking.

"Ma, how long has it been making that rattling noise," his volume was louder than needed for his proximity.

He misjudged it because he hadn't looked up until just that moment. His eyes were scanning the three of us before landing on me and lingering.

"You changed," his voice came lower, unfocused.

"I spilled soda," my tone matched his fuzzy tone.

"I never noticed a rattle," Mary broke the stupor.

Billy's head twitched so slightly it was almost unnoticeable. "Never noticed or ignored?" He grumbled. "I don't know to tighten things if you don't tell me."

"Well, is it still rattling?" Mary shot back at him.

"No, I tightened the heat shield because I heard the rattle," Billy's tone hit the 'I' with extra emphasis.

"Well, then it looks like it all worked out." Mary's stubbornness was seeping through.

Billy mumbled something, but all I caught was 'frustrating." Mostly because I was still distracted by the twitch of his arms as he raised his hand to scratch the back of his head.

"I need help," I exclaimed so quickly that even I was surprised.

Billy's hand stalled tangled in his hair. "What?"

"I need help... with my luggage... upstairs..." My words came out in the smattering that my mind was.

"Okay, right now?" Billy suspiciously eyed me.

"Yeah, right now, definitely right now." I nodded my head and popped off the stool as I clamored to grasp his hand.

"Okay, Tim, don't eat all the shortbread," he shot at Tim as I yanked him from the room.

I was eagerly pulling him to the stairs as he let out a laugh. "Lil, what's wrong with you?"

I couldn't wait; once we got up the stairs, I turned to him, breaking our stride, knowing he'd crash into me from the sudden pace change.

"Hey," I murmured as his body slammed into mine, forcing him to wrap his arms around me to keep us both upright.

"Lil," his voice started as a complaint as he steadied us both. "What..." But then he met my gaze and stopped.

"Hi," I said again as I let my eyes drop to his lips and then flow down his neck, watching the ripple of his pulse course down and get lost in his shirt.

"Hi," he pulled me closer to him, lifting me from the ground.

In a well-orchestrated move, he caught my legs, letting his hands slide down them until he hooked the crux of my knees so he could wrap them around his waist. The slight breeze of his pace washed over my back as he pushed through his door. I sunk into his neck as the door slammed louder than necessary from the ill-measure kick Billy gave it. The room whirled around me as I fell to the bed with a puff; the separation from each other seemed to sober us slightly.

"Lil?" Billy was struggling with the pulse of electricity surging between us.

"Hi."

"Can you say something other than hi?" There should've been a tease in his voice, but instead, there was pleading.

"You look..." I let my eyes flow down his torso to the coveralls.

"Fuck, Lil," he backed away.

"What?" I shot up as the moment shattered.

"I'm not a fucking mechanic." He kicked his sneakers off and yanked the coveralls down, leaving him in his usual jeans and t-shirt.

"I know, you just... it just... caught me off guard?" My inflection ended on the high pique of a question.

He stared at me, boring in before he twisted curtly and ripped the door open.

"Billy," I clamored after him, but he was already halfway down the stairs.

He didn't slow his pace; he just strode through the kitchen, adding a gruff, "Tim, let's rehearse," as he passed.

I stalled in the kitchen, watching him head down the hall to the basement. Tim shot me a confused look as he grabbed two more cookies and followed Billy.

"Errand didn't appear to go well," Mary noted.

"No," I acknowledge as my eyes lingered on the basement door.

Moments later, the drums started pounding from the basement.

"Oh, it really didn't go well," Mary added at the development.

Eventually, the guitar started, but it sounded different from Billy's usual strumming and riffs, muted by the vulgarity of unabashed drumming.

"Should I?" I wanted Mary to permit me not to go down there, to avoid the situation. I knew he was down there, expecting me. He was willing me down to see the rockstar. The muted guitar must have been waiting for my arrival to truly explode.

"You should go." Mary finally lifted her eyes to mine from her kitchen tasks, "this is who he is...loud."