Chapter 51

I was a different woman walking down Billy's driveway. In the year since his accident, I had found myself even more protective of him than before. It didn't surprise me when I got the call asking me to come.

Billy was on the front steps of the old farmhouse he had rebuilt into a home. It had always felt so full of life when I visited, but it felt deflated of everything this night. As I approached, I noticed his pale-skinned glowing in the moonlight, just like all those years before, when he stood beneath the streetlight of Geno's. Silently, he took my bag and slung it over his shoulder while pulling me into his chest.

"She left me, Lil," his words choked on a sob. His chest heaved beneath my head. "I knew we had problems; I just didn't..." He pulled away and brought a hand to his hair, gently tugging it as he collected himself. "I should've been home more. I didn't need to go into the studio. I have a fucking studio here."

He collected his thoughts, and I stayed quiet.

"She wanted to go places." He shook his head; it was more like a tick. "I can't just go out. There are people everywhere taking pictures, talking to me, asking me for whatever they think I'll give them." His hand trembled as he nervously brought it back to his hair.

"It's okay, Billy. Everything is going to be okay. I promise." I wanted to ease his pain, but instead, I just followed him.

He didn't go into the house; he crossed to the barn and climbed up the studio's stairs. I should've known; it was the place that would comfort him. He spent the entire night playing old songs, consoling songs. As his hands floated across the piano's keys, his shoulders rose from their slump. By the time the sun was up, a few tempered smiles had graced his lips.

I lured him from the studio with the promise of breakfast, but, as I suspected, he passed out on the couch before I could even make toast. I heard the slam of a car door and knew it could only be one of the few people with the gate code. Tim was partway to the house when I peeked out the window. I met him on the porch to prevent him from waking Billy.

"How is he?" Tim looked like he had slept about as much as I had.

"Not great, but he'll make it."

"Thanks for coming, Lil. I know it's a lot juggling this with everything else in your life." He let out a heavy sigh.

"It's fine. I work for an IT company; if we can't figure out remote technology for people, there's a problem."

Tim laughed, but it was all he could muster before he slumped down on the steps.

"You okay, Timmy?" I sat down next to him and bumped his shoulder with mine.

"Yeah, all things considered, I'm great." He said it in a mournful tone. "It's not like it's much of a surprise. I guess I just..." his words dropped out.

"Does this make you worry about you and Tess?"

"No, the opposite, actually. I'm lucky." He lifted his eyes to meet mine. "I don't know how, but I love that woman more today than when I married her, and she seems to dig me still."

"She more than digs you," I teased.

"It just sucks. I want everyone to feel like I do. And Billy, of all people. I mean, he's always wanted what Mary and Armand had. This has to destroy him. And the kids. I know this isn't what he wanted for the kids."

I stayed quiet, mulling over Tim's words.

"This is why it's good you're here." He jabbed me with his elbow. "I'd probably just bring him down further." Tim let an empty laugh slip from his lips. "How long can you stay?"