Chapter 28

It was the beginning of a new world order. I was friends with Billy Collins. There were no vague references to missed opportunities for love or lust; there was just camaraderie built on a shared mutual experience of growth, pain, and resurrection. It extended beyond that day of watching movies and eating pizza in a Portland hotel room. There was near-constant communication between texting and calls. It felt like having it all was within my reach, but Sam still wasn't calling.

"Hey," I answered in a whisper as I made my way out of the library.

"She left me." There was empty disbelief in Billy's voice.

"What? Why?"

"I don't know. Something about 'we were going down different paths.'"

"How can you be going down different paths? You've only been together for a couple of months. There are no paths yet." My mind whirled through all the recent anecdotes Billy had shared about Sarah.

"Right?"

"Did you come on too strong? Like, did you propose or something crazy?"

"No, and thanks for assuming this was my fault."

"Sorry, I mean..."

"I didn't come on too strong with you, Lil. Hell, after our first night, I barely spoke to you for months."

"True," I acknowledge.

"Geez, Lil. Way to make this about us," he sighed.

"Well, at least it got your mind off her for a few minutes." I leaned against the wall of the library. "Right before Christmas, too; that's cold."

"I'm used to women crushing my heart on major holidays."

"I'm sorry, Billy. I know you were really into her."

"Mmhmm," his mind was elsewhere. "You want to come up to a cabin after Christmas?"

"Cabin?"

"Yeah, I rented this place between Christmas and the New Year. I planned on flying out with my mom, Tim, and Tess to spend some time with Sarah. That's obviously not happening."

"I don't know, Billy. While the friends thing is going remarkably well, I'm not sure if we should push it."

"Mmhmm, think about it. My mom would love to see you." There was an annoying smugness to his voice, as though he knew I'd crumble. "It's in Greenville."

"Greenville like Maine? Like Moosehead?"

"Yeah," he let out a laugh.

"You were bringing your new girlfriend to Maine? Of all the places you could take her, Maine?"

"Can you not make everything about you?" There was a jest in his voice.

I let out a laugh. "You're the one coming to Maine. Can you not make everything about me?"

"Oh, shut up. Just for that, I'm going to make Tim pick you up," he shot at me.

"I didn't say yes," I argued.

"Sure you did; we can be breakup buddies."

"Billy, I don't think we should..." my voice dropped out.

"Geez, Lil, straight to sex? I meant we could be friends helping each other through breakups. You're so vulgar."

"I'm vulgar? 'Breakup buddies' is universally friends having casual sex," I shot.

"Well then, many people are doing it wrong because sex with me is anything but casual."