Chapter 9: The Streets of Whiterun

The sun shown a vibrant yellow on the horizon and shot out it's orange rays to the clouds, which in turn gleamed at their billowing edges. Beric was almost in a trance as he walked with his eyes fixed on the sunset. They were approaching the city gate as the first stars were beginning to show themselves in the sky.

After walking under an arch with guards eyeing them, they passed through a drawbridge which led to the gate where two guards stood. One guard saw them and put his hand on his sword and walked to them.

"Halt, the city's closed. People are saying there's dragon's about. Official business only,"

"Riverwood calls for the Jarls aid," Hadvar spoke firmly, "Helgen is in flames," the helmet could barely hide the guard's shock.

"Well, then you'd better go on in," he said as he signaled to the other guard who banged on the gate door.

"Open up!" the other guard shouted to the big wooden doors. They slowly creaked open to reveal the buildings inside. Beric looked inside and saw the street go down to a sharp turn with houses and shops on both sides.

Hadvar nodded to Beric and Drake and then walked through the gate confidently onto the cobblestone street. The houses were certainly not like the ones back in Cirodiil. They had slanted tops like farmhouses and had big wooden beams framing the roofs of wooden shingles. There were patches of grass in between houses, unlike the buildings in the Capital City which were close together and paved in between. It was homely but had its own luster. 

After they passed the houses, they turned around the corner and climbed some stone stairs that lead to a second wall

After they passed the houses, they turned around the corner and climbed some stone stairs that lead to a second wall. There was a ditch carved into the stone on both sides of stairs that had water flowing down it to a drain at the bottom of the stairs. As they entered under an arch, Beric saw a great tree growing in the center of a circle of houses. It looked strong but had no leaves growing on it. It had a walkway around it that was surrounded by flowing water that flowed to the stairs.

As they walked around it, Beric looked up to a great staircase that led to the top of the city where the Jarl resided. This was Dragonsreach. It took Beric's breath away.

"It's quite a sight isn't it?" Hadvar said cracking a smile and nodding up the mountain.

"Yeah," Beric said dumfounded as they approached the long staircase up to the keep. When they were almost to the top, Beric looked behind them and realized how far up they were. He could see for miles, but not in detail because the sun was gone. The clouds faded to dark grey curtains as night overcame the sky. Beric could see the gigantic crescent moons looking away from the surface of Nirn as if they were just as captivated by the beauty of the stars as he was. It was a lot to take in.