Chapter 19: To Kill a Dragon

Beric heard Irileth's voice over the rain as he approached the gate. She was barking orders out to the guards as they were scrambling into formation. She glanced at Beric with disgust.

"What do you want?" she demanded.

"The Jarl told me to come along,"

"Fine, try to keep up, and don't get in my way. I don't stay my hand for weaklings," she said as she charged out the open gate, "Follow me!" she shouted to the guards as Beric took off after them.

As they approached the watchtower, Beric saw fire all around the base of it. He wondered just how hot the fire would have to be for it to burn this bright in a thunderstorm.

"It's already attacked!" exclaimed one of the guards.

"Stay on your guard, it could still be around!" Irileth shouted as they entered the area, "Search for survivors!"

"Hello?" Beric called out after he had run to the opening of the tower, "Is anyone in here?" he called again as he entered.

"No, no, no, you have to leave!" a voice answered. A guard cam into view, "Everyone else is dead. I'm lucky to be alive, myself," he panicked as he brushed past Beric and darted outside, "Leave! All of you leave! If it comes back all of you will be dead in seconds! Leave while it's still gone!"

"Get yourself together, soldier. Your ancestors would be ashamed of you,"

"You don't understand, Irileth. This thing is nothing like anything we've ever seen. It killed everyone but me before I knew what was going on. You can't fight it and you can't run from it. It's too strong and fast!"

"Quiet! Everyone, quiet!" she shouted as she closed her eyes to listen. Beric heard it too. It was the sound of a strong wind, but it sounded like much more than just air.

"Oh, no!" the guard exclaimed, "Here it comes again!" As soon as he the words had left the guards mouth, Beric heard the roar of a dragon. When Beric looked in the direction of the roar, he saw a large mass flying amongst the clouds at unimaginable speed. The flash of lightning revealed the winged monster flying directly toward them.

"This is it men! Make every arrow count!" Irileth shouted just before taking cover from the fire sent from the dragon. Beric braced himself as the path of fire was ignited a few steps in front of him, "It might be wise to take cover when attacked by dragon fire, boy," Irileth scolded Beric as she charged an electric spell and searched for the dragon's whereabouts. Beric shook off the embarrassment as he drew his sword and looked up to the sky.

He searched the dark clouds and listened hard through the shouts of the men just before he was caught off guard by the sound of the dragon breathing fire into the ranks of the Whiterun guards. He spun around to see the dragon flapping it's wings as it lowered itself to the ground. A horizontal lightning bolt struck the dragon's snout just as it was about to chomp down on the closest guard. Beric looked to see Irileth charging another spell as she ran to engage it.

"Watch the teeth!" shouted a guard above the carnage as Beric ran toward the dragon. As Irileth ran through the guards, she shouted to them to rally and attack. All the guards attacked at once causing the dragon to leap up into the air over their heads and glide to the other side. The archers quickly knocked their arrows and sent them into the dragon's hide. The dragon's deafening roar of pain made Beric's ears ring as he ran toward it. Dragon fire blew past him scaring him into raising his shield up. Beric breathed heavier as he peeked over the shield to see the dragon glaring at him and opening his mouth. Beric yelled in anticipated pain as the dragon swooped its head down to sink its teeth in his body. Fortunately, an arrow had struck it behind the ear and threw its jaws off course. Beric jumped in fright as the jaws slammed shut behind him. He swung his sword at its neck but only sliced through air as the dragon breathed fire at the archer. Beric gripped his sword hard as he ran to its abdomen and thrust it as hard as he could. Beric was shocked at the thickness of the dragon skin. It was like stabbing frozen dirt mixed with rocks.