Chapter 28: New Friends

Beric approached the Sleeping Giant Inn slowly. It had only been a handful of days since he had been here last. He figured his best bet was to approach the woman that had beaten him to Jurgen's horn. She seemed to be deeply invested in the dragons that were starting to pop up around Skyrim. He'd forgotten most of what she talked to him about that night he retrieved the horn from her. He took a deep breath as his hand rested on the door handle. Various savory smells slipped through the doorway as he eased the oak door open. Several eyes of the village folk darted toward him as he walked through and headed toward the innkeeper at the bar. The innkeeper looked at him and smiled.

"How can I help you?"

"I'm looking for Delphine. I've reconsidered an offer of hers," Beric answered as the innkeeper's mouth tightened.

"Of course," he said quietly, "She's in her room," he said walking from around the bar and walking Beric to the room he had spoken to Delphine in. Beric slowly entered the room and saw Delphine at a desk reading an old tattered book. Her face was starting to show the winters she had seen along with grey hairs that blended into her blonde braids.

"Well," she said putting her book down and standing formally, "I didn't expect to see you again so soon,"

"I didn't expect you to either," he said shrugging, "I've changed my mind. You were right. I'm meant to do more than sit on a mountain doing nothing," he said as she looked down and to the side and nodded.

"I'm glad you reconsidered. I was sure you were going to leave Skyrim at the mercy of the growing dragon threat. It seems there's more of them every day,"

"There's more?"

"Many are flying from the mountains and joining their kin," she said raising an eyebrow, "They have already started terrorizing the Reachmen in western Skyrim. It's only a matter of time before they are bold enough to attack the smaller cities. I'm actually surprised they haven't attacked Morthal yet,"

"How much is many?"

"Most likely a dozen, but who knows? Some rumors say fifty," she said as Beric swallowed hard. Fifty men was one thing. Fifty dragons was another.

"What's the plan?"

"I'll be honest with you. I was hoping you had an idea in mind. I've had the good fortune of recruiting five warriors to our ranks, but seven people can only do so much against a large group creatures that dominate the food chain,"

"Seven?" Beric said glancing through the doorway to the innkeeper that was back at the bar cleaning a tankard.

"Not Orgnar," she said as the corner of her mouth turned to a slight smile, "He's more of an informant. He keeps an ear out for things that concern me. The seventh of us is an old associate of mine that I hadn't seen for years until several months ago. He's made a major difference. He was one of the few of my order who actually predicted the return of dragons. We all thought he was a crazy old man at the time, but, of course, he was right,"

"Order?"

"Well," she said looking down and wincing, "I guess you should know. After all, it is important to know who you are working with," she said looking to the side as if still wondering if she should divulge this information, "I was apart of an old order in Cirodiil that was recently disbanded. I was apart of the Blades,"

"The Blades?" Beric asked with his eyebrow raised.

"Yes," she nodded, "We protected the emperor and his interests," she said as her chin rose a bit,"