Chapter 10: Dragons and Dragonstones

"Beric," Drake's deep voice came as a strong hand gripped his shoulder and shook him roughly out of sleep, "It's almost Midday. We have to get moving,"

"Alright, alright," Beric said raising his arm and trying to get out of Drake's grip, "I'm up,"

"Hulda said we're welcome to breakfast. If you want some, you'd best get ready quickly," Drake said as his hand left Beric's shoulder.

Beric rolled over onto his back under the heavy blanket that was supplied with the room. It made his arms itch, but it kept him nice and warm. And warmth was the thing keeping him in his bed. It had gotten freezing cold in the night and the bed was a like a stronghold against it. He slowly peeled the blanket away as the cold air enveloped him and gripped him to the bone making him shiver. After he slipped his boots on and buckled his sword, he headed down the stairs where Drake was sitting at the counter finishing the last of his mug. Drake motioned to some bread and an apple on a plate.

"Make it quick. We should probably be a little early,"

"Why?" Beric said sitting down as he started biting into the bread loaf.

"It wouldn't be wise to keep the Jarl waiting. As kind as he's been, we're still at his mercy,"

"Oh," Beric nodded swallowing. Drake stood up as soon as the last bit of bread was in Beric's mouth.

"Let's go," he said walking to the door as Beric grabbed the apple and followed. As soon as they passed through the door, Beric saw several stands set up in the circle with people bartering for goods. One man in particular caught his eye. It was a hooded and dark robed man that was taller than average. He bowed his head so that the small part of his face that was visible was masked in a shadow.

"Troleck?" Beric quietly asked Drake.

"Yeah," Drake nodded. Troleck perked up at his name being whispered and turned his face in their direction from the apple he was holding. His expression was unreadable underneath the hood. He looked at them for a few seconds and then turned away to the stand.

"Are you alright?" the woman at the stand asked him.

"I'm fine," came a grumpy voice Beric could barely hear as Troleck put the apple down and limped down the city street toward the gate.

"Beric," Drake said from halfway to the stone stairs, "Come on. We have to go,"

"Coming," Beric said remembering the time. They climbed the stairs quickly with a little more ease than the night before. As they passed the tree, Beric saw Dragonsreach standing tall in the sunlight looking even more magnificent in the sunlight. There was a stone statue of Talos that Beric hadn't noticed the night before. It was one of the larger ones he had seen, but it was quite a bit more detailed than most. His face was that of sorrow and heaviness but also of pride and strength.