Chapter 11: A Door Is Opened

"You're welcome to these," Farengar said dropping a few items on the table, "You could probably make use of them when you start running into the Draugrs," among the items were four small red bottles, a rather large empty pouch, and an old book with a strange symbol on it.

"What's the pouch for?" Drake asked as Beric picked up the book and examined the symbol. It was a destruction spell tome. Beric could tell by the flickering top that led down to the circular swirl at the bottom. He'd read about them but had never read one. He had an interest in magic as a child, but his father cautioned him on the toll it takes on the mind.

 He had an interest in magic as a child, but his father cautioned him on the toll it takes on the mind

"Magic is helpful and good. I've dabbled in it a time or two. It really is fascinating. That knowledge opens doors in your mind that leads to endless possibilities," he would say, "But be careful of that road, my son. The possibilities are truly endless. It can drive a good man to evil and an average man to insanity,"

"Gold. You're bound to find some. It'd be a shame to leave it there to collect dust," Farengar answered observing Beric, "I see you're interested in the spell tome,"

"Of sorts. Which one is it?"

"That particular one is flames. Probably the most common spell used among mages. It's a novice level spell and doesn't require much Magicka. Particularly effective against all kinds of undead, so it would aid in your fight against the Draugrs,"

"Does it take a large toll on the mind?" Beric asked causing Farengar to laugh.

"No, of course not. The only toll it'll take is learning how to use it. I assume you're not exactly familiar with magic?" Farengar asked.

"Not really. Read about it, but never learned it,"

"Hmm, well, if you want to start learning, Flames is a good one to start on. It's not really hard to use and it's very useful, that is if you have a good understanding of how magic works,"

"Well, I've read quite a bit,"

"Then you shouldn't have much trouble. Just read through the two pages and a door will be opened in your mind. Explore the room freely, just use your common sense. There isn't much to worry about when it comes to novice spells. But if you should run across any other spells, be sure to seek counsel of someone that actually knows what they're doing before you venture any further into the world of magic. The world is big and dangerous enough as it is without magic, but the world gets even bigger when you walk through that door. It's a great and fantastic world, but it can hurt you if you're not careful,"

"I'll keep that in mind," Beric said opening the book. There were only two pages inside the thick cover. The first paragraph was an introduction talking about the simplicity of the spell. The second paragraph explained that it was and wasn't as simple as swinging a sword, and that the mind needed to be completely involved in casting the spell. The wording confused Beric. The last two paragraphs detailed precautions one should take to avoid accidents while practicing the spell. It was mostly self-explanatory. The last part that ended the second page read: