Ch 131: Evolution

Kota

Reynolds lingered behind as the rest of the task force filed out of my room. "I want to thank you again for seeing us this morning," he said. "Your statement should go a long way in helping us find the evidence that we need to put these perpetrators away."

"I hope so." At this point, I was still grateful that I was no longer a suspect, which had seemed next to impossible when I had walked out of Ashley Waters last night.

Reynolds handed me a card. "If you think of anything else, anything at all—"

"I'll make sure to call you." I was certain I had one of his cards in my wallet, but I took this one anyway and put it on the bedside table.

Reynolds gave me a sympathetic look. "Feel better soon, Mr. Lee," he said, then left the room.

I let out a sigh, glad that was over. So far, so good. I had finished all of my appointments, including HBOT therapy and a meeting with the orthopedist specialist about my shoulder. More than anything, I wanted to go to the other end of the suite and see Sang, but even without the added complication of the IV, I couldn't muster the energy to get out of bed just yet, so I laid back and started counting by odd numbers.

The pocket door separating my room from the rest of the suite slid open, and for a second, my heartbeat sped up. Perhaps Sang had come to me instead.

But it was Sean instead, decked out in his white coat, a white button-up with a green tie and khaki pants. He gave me a steady look. "You should have cut the meeting short if you felt that bad."

I tried not to look as disappointed as I felt, as I was sure I would see Sang soon enough. "I didn't say that I felt bad."

"No, you didn't," Sean said, moving to his station beside me. "But you look absolutely exhausted."

"As I told you earlier, I don't want the police around my mother or sister," I said. "Or Sang. Better to get it done here than chance them showing up at my house."

"And I agreed with you, but it shouldn't have been at the expense of your health," Sean chastised, putting his hand on my forehead. "Just as I suspected; you're running a fever."

"That's medically inaccurate, and you know it," I argued, then regretted opening my mouth. Now he would pull out the thermometer, if only to prove himself right; I should have just given in and agreed with him. "Were you and Owen able to hear everything I said to the task force?"

"Actually, we didn't hear any of it," Sean admitted. "We suspect at least one of the task force members was carrying something that blocks listening devices. But that can wait. Can I get you anything?"

Wherever he was, I was certain that Owen's curiosity was working at warp speed. "No, thanks." I shifted, trying to get comfortable and failing. "Actually, since you offered, an icepack would be helpful."

"Next time, don't wait for me to offer," Sean said, quickly moving out of the room.

The door was sliding open again; this time it was Victor, holding up a new iPhone, then put it on the overbed table. "Nathan replaced your phone," he said, putting it on the table beside me. "Try to keep up with this one, okay?"

"I make no promises," I said, my quip falling flat.

Victor's eyes were troubled. "Look, about last night--"