Ch 95: Negotiations

Kota

"I told you not to pull that cotton-pickin' trigger!" Stanton yelled out.

Despite the relative brevity of the shock, I was left frozen and struggling for breath, unable to get enough oxygen into my lungs.

The group surrounded me, a cluster of voices, and the girl with the blonde mane knelt beside me. "Kota, are you okay?"

Gasping for air, I couldn't get enough breath in to answer. It just had to be a taser. After everything with Ethan...

"You need to go inside," Stanton boomed out. "I told you to stay put; this isn't good for your recovery."

"No! I'm staying with Kota!" Her blonde hair was about the same length as Sang's, though hers was brighter. Probably dyed, but dyed by a professional. She also had a similar frame as Sang, though Sang was some ten pounds or so smaller.

Close enough to be confused from afar--or without the benefit of glasses--but clearly distinctive otherwise.

"Kota?" Her blue eyes were full of worry as she leaned over me. She turned back to Stanton. "Poppy, he's hurt, he's really hurt. We need to do something."

"Just give it another minute or so," Stanton directed.

I kept my eyes on the girl. We had the same fifth-period history class and sixth-period study hall, and occasionally we would walk together between classes, chatting about nothing of consequence. I had even recommended that she put a donation jar at Bob's Diner when she was asked to run for homecoming court.

Finally, I had enough air in my lungs to speak. "Jenny?"

She gave me a tentative nod. "What are you doing out here?"

Stanton moved behind her, shaking his head as though to warn me not to say anything.

"Stanton is your grandfather?" I regretted it the minute I said it. Of course he was. There went what little advantage I had left.

Stanton frowned. "How long have you known who I am?"

"Instead of worrying about what he knows and what he doesn't know," Jenny reasoned, "We need to get him inside!" She stomped her foot, which was encased in a thick orthopedic boot."Ow, that hurt," she whimpered, stumbling a few steps away.

Stanton put an arm around her, supporting her weight. "Let's get you inside. You don't need to be in the rain."

"Not without Kota," Jenny said stubbornly.

Stanton didn't look happy but conceded. "The young man can come inside as well."

The muscle spasms were stopping, leaving my body quivery as it might be after an expert massage. At least I'm wide awake. I pulled myself to a sitting position and held up my hands. "Getting up would be easier with my hands free."

Reluctantly, Stanton pulled out a pocket knife and sawed through the plastic. "You'd better not try anything." He extended his right hand, and I grasped it with my left, letting him pull me to my feet.

Jenny put her arm around my back. "Come with me, Kota," she said gently.

Resigned, Stanton nodded at the closest guard. "Don't let him out of your sight."

I followed her inside through the elaborate rooms and hallways, leaving wet, muddy tracks in my wake. I didn't offer to remove my shoes or worry about cleaning up after myself. Social niceties tend to get lost when you've been abducted.

Jenny took me to a small half-bathroom just off the foyer. "Why don't you give me your clothes," she suggested.

I looked at her. "Excuse me?"