Cat Chapter 34

Shinobu took a glance towards Hotaru, who was running in front of them in a steady pace. She, Hotaru and Giyuu are sent out on a special mission from Oyakata-sama himself. Not to eliminate demons, but to get ahold of something special.

The weird thing was that Oyakata-sama only told Hotaru about the details and the thing they will be retrieving. When they asked about the information, all he told them was: "Trust Hotaru."

Though he is their leader, they can't help but feel suspicious.

They trust their leader of course, but Shinobu is not completely sure if she should trust Hotaru. She's a fellow demon slayer, and a good friend. Shinobu hated cats and very much animals with furs, but Hotaru is a different feline.

Shinobu can trust her when they're just messing around and out of their duties, but should she trust her on leading an important mission?

She wonder if Giyuu is feeling the same conflict as her.

"We're almost there," Hotaru stated, yet her pace didn't flatter. She threw a short glance at them over her shoulder. "It's gonna take another hour or so. I think we could rest for a bit once we reach the town. Is that okay?"

The two agreed simply, before they continued running in silence.

"I'm gonna search around the town to try tracking what Oyakata-sama is asking. We should be back on the headquarters before sunrise tomorrow." Hotaru said, already walking out of the room that she and Shinobu are sharing.

Shinobu halted, before calling out, "Wait, Hotaru-san?"

There was a pause before the said woman poke her head back into the room. "Yeah?"

"What do you mean search around the town? So we don't know yet where the item Oyakata-sama is asking for?" Shinobu asked, totally confused of what the other woman was thinking.

Hotaru snorted. "That item is a person actually. Wait, persons? No people– wait– uh, but they're not–" she scowled deeply for a moment, before shrugging instead. "Whatever. You'll know in a few hours once I get back. See ya."

And with that, she disappeared. Leaving a dumbfounded and in disbelief Hashira.

Shinobu staggered out of their rented room, still confused about her friend's answer. What does she mean by searching around the town? So it's a person now? But she said they're not?? What the...

She opened the door next to them, coming in without permission from the current occupant.

Giyuu look at her blankly, feeling a tingle of confusion seeing her lost look. He slowly put his buttoned his uniform back on. "Kocho?"

"Tomioka-san," she started slowly, "do you trust Hotaru-san?"

"I do," he replied without any hesitation.

"...why?"

Giyuu stared at her. Though she cannot tell what his exact emotions he is feeling right now, he must be confused by the sudden questions.

"Because she's a good person. She's not nice sometimes, but she's good."

Shinobu's eyebrows creased. She feels bad on asking these questions, but she can't help but ask, "How are you so sure that she's a good person?"

"I trust her," He said without hesitation. "I've known her for so long because my former teacher is her father. Maybe even longer than Shinazugawa." Giyuu said, looking down on his buttons and fiddling with them.

"Shinazugawa?"

"He was her penpal."

She halted at the newly discovered information. Penpal? Shinazugawa? Shinazugawa Sanemi? Wow, she didn't know that until now.